[CHAPTER 3]

THE AFTERMATH

[ ✰ ]

IN THE MOMENTS FOLLOWING THE ACCIDENT, it had not crossed Lydia Martin's mind that death would strike that night; it definitely did not cross her mind that she would be the first one to witness it clutching the innocent girl who had so often sat near her in their shared classes at school; it definitely didn't cross her mind that death's cold embrace would be so close to brushing her skin.

With her hands on the steering wheel, she was directing herself to the nearest corner store with the intent of loading a basket up with sweets and snacks before reaching her destination of the Argent House a few streets away. She was careful, cautious, and calm, but it wouldn't last.

She reached a hand out to change the channel on the radio because despite loving the song Teenage Dream, she wanted something more soothing and less alive―perhaps even the acoustic version performed by Darren Criss in Glee―and of course, something with more meaning or a better beat. However, the realization tangling in her mind was what gave the song more meaning: she hadn't turned on the radio.

In that instant, she knew something was wrong. Her heart dropped at the realization, but it proceeded to race and compel her mind to do the same. She could feel it—something was wrong, so devastatingly wrong.

Oddly enough, just a day ago, she had wandered through a forest naked and only left her trance when she came upon a scene of death. Something had pulled her there, and even if she didn't understand it, she felt like she had gravitated towards it like the moon to the Earth.

Here it was, death staring her in the face once more.

It was happening again.

That moment raced through her mind as she felt herself gravitate towards another unknown destination that most likely held another scene of death. That moment refused to leave her mind, and she felt fear pumping through her veins before it faded to numbness. It was then that she felt the strongest ache in her heart―and that's when she let the ear-piercing scream escape her lips.

[ ✰ ]

[EDITED] APRIL 9, 2017
[EDITED AGAIN] AUGUST 30, 2017
yo yo yo sorry if this gives off a notification and makes you think i updated. i, in fact, did not. as usual.