[CHAPTER 6]

Everything Fell Apart in His Hands

[ ✰ ]

SCOTT MCCALL HURLED the lacrosse ball towards Danny, the goalkeeper, with an intensity that would've forced the boy to take several steps back if he had caught it—but the ball surged into the net and targeted the webbed pattern. On the sidelines, Coach Finstock cheered and screamed praise towards his protégé, Scott, who he believed only seemed to excel at lacrosse and not being smart.

The other players are a mixture of jealousy and admiration at the sight—it was slightly past dusk and they were tired of feeling inadequate as the new alpha male threatened their social hierarchy during the four hour long lacrosse practice.

As Jackson Whittemore was seething at Scott's success, but the timid and lanky Isaac Lahey merely ruffled his dark blonde curls in a concoction of frustration and admiration. If Scott paid the slightest bit attention to the emotions in the air, he'd smell the two among the many other players, but Scott found his focus fleeting.

He didn't have time to be anything but genuine and nice considering that just yesterday, his best friend's long time crush had been found naked and wandering in the woods around the same time an omega wolf had been slaughtered in front of his eyes. He now had to deal with Gerard Argent, the full moon, and his secret relationship with Allison that was blooming—despite it being hidden in the dark corners and secret meetings.

He just wanted to keep everything together long enough to last through the storm. He didn't want everything to fall apart in his hands, especially not now.

But it was about to.

As Scott McCall made shot after shot at the goal, he almost failed to notice Sheriff Stilinski arriving on the field, a deputy in tow. He heard barely registered the sadness in the Sheriff's voice as he addressed Coach Finstock, but the words uttered was what caught his attention.

He reached down to grab another lacrosse ball, and as he swung it, he faltered upon hearing the news—"Scott's sister has been in an accident and it's unclear whether she'll make it."

He missed the shot and everything fell apart in his hands.

[ ✰ ]

[EDITED] AUGUST 30, 2017

ha, forgot about the feels. wow, i haven't read this story in a LONG time.