I miss him too.

(Caroline’s POV)

The large, thick trees shade me as I kick a rock while I walk along the small dirt trail I’ve made over the years with George and Eric Crutchfield. I watch my feet as I think about Mr. Eric.

He was a very tall strong man, and I’m not ashamed to say he was a bit stereotypically good looking. His hair was dark, straight, and short but, his eyes were a beautiful emerald green color. Whenever he took me out into the woods with him, it wasn’t his strong arms and calming voice that put me to ease…it was those eyes. I miss those eyes, that unmatchable, soothing, concerning color of emerald. I miss him. I loved him, but not like in a bad way. He was like a best friend, or like a second dad. I feel he felt the same about me too. A couple of years ago Mr. and Mrs. Crutchfield found out they couldn’t have children. I feel they used me as a sort of void for that fact, I don’t mind though. I loved it. I smile, I love being loved back.

I decide it’s better to ignore my thoughts, I won’t forget, I’ll just ignore.

After about fifteen minutes of walking, I finally see the faint outline of Mrs. Crutchfield’s house. I fasten my pace shoving past the low hanging branch and getting to the back door. I pause in front of the door and sigh. I look up at the nice large pale yellow house, and I look at the newly painted forest green shutters. It’s a new look compared to the white and blue colors it used to be painted.

I walk into the house. Everything is all clean and organized, other than the boxes scattered around the floor. I pick up a book randomly lying on the floor, placing it into a box marked ‘books’ I yell for Mrs. Crutchfield.

“Riley? Mrs. Riley where are you? Mrs. Crutchfield I know you’re here, answer me!”

“In here sweetie….” I follow her voice round the corner to find her lying on the floor beside the coffee table of the living room, crying. Correction, sobbing.

She looks up at me with tear streaked eyes, “I miss him Caroline…” she hiccupped. I bite my lip as feel tears form in my eyes at the sight of her.

Before the incident, at happier times she was so radiant and beautiful. Her hair pitch black with a striking blue glow now just seemed to emphasize her sadness, her smile that could lighten any room now a trembling source of misery. The way her face used glow in a way that was so gorgeous. Now it’s pale and seemingly transparent to the surroundings.

 I remember a time when her ice blue eyes were happy and bright. Her eyes are now orbs of dark depression now that he’s gone. As far as I can remember Eric was her best friend, and vice versa. They’ve never spent more than a couple of days apart from each other, and when returning I remember watching the blue and green of their eyes glimmering and swarming in love. That always made me smile, but now all the memory does is hurt.

I feel tears begin to stream down my cheeks as I stand there whispering, “I miss him too…”

I sit down next to her and she swings a comforting arm around my shaky body as we cry. That’s all.

We sat and cried for a while.