I'll Find My Safe Place

(Caroline’s POV)

That new family is supposed to be here today…was the first thing on my mind when I woke up. I still don’t know how I feel about this change…

“So, you ready to meet the new family today?” my mom asked me as soon as I sat down for breakfast.

“No. Plain and simple, I am not excited…” I answered annoyed at the world.

“Well, you can’t back out. You promised you know.”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah I know. That’s the only reason I’m gonna walk over there. I promised I would meet them and make them feel welcomed. I never promised that I’d stay in touch with them after this meet.”

My mom just kinda rolled her eyes at me before going to the next room, leaving me to eat my breakfast. I sat and slowly ate taking as long as humanly believable to eat a simple as pancakes. I died a little when I looked down at my plate to see that I have finished my pancakes. I sigh before going back upstairs to get dressed.

I walk downstairs to see my family sitting watching the TV.

“I’m gonna go see the new family now.” I say as I grab my back-pack from beside the couch.

“Okay Caroline.” My mom answered not removing her gaze at the TV. I get a little closer to the door.

“They might be a household of serial killers, but I’m still going…” I hover my hand over the doorknob.

“Have fun.” My mom sang back.

Ugh. I open the door and head to the trail. Stepping and breaking every stick I could see on the ground. As I reached the edge of the woods a something grabbed my shoulder and I screamed. I turn to see my friend Carter Freeman laughing up a storm.

“Carter that isn’t fun, stop it!” I breathlessly say gathering myself.

Carter is thirteen years old; tan skinned, brown eyed and dark haired. He was much taller than me and, if I do say, mighty fine looking.

“It’s…just…so….funny to see….your face!” he laughed out.

Once he calmed down he put his arm over my shoulder and started our way through the trail.

“So Caroline, where are you headed to today?”

“I promised Riley I’d greet the new family.”

“Well that’s nice of ya….but do you have to do it now…?” he stopped walking, I turned to face him. “…you think you got time for a game of Scare?”

I can’t help but smile at the boy’s cocky look. Scare is a stupid game he invented when he was seven and I was about to turn four. The way you play is each of us has a walkie-talkie and we both separate from each other. When we become out of range of the walkie-talkies that is when the fun begins. After losing range we have to turn them off and search for each other and if one of us spots the other before they notice you try your best to scare them.

“You know what Carter…” I say as I slip my pack off my back and reach into one of the pockets, “I do believe I have some time…” I pull out two walkie-talkies and place one in his hand. A huge smile crosses his face. As he presses the button and holds the small radio to his face.

“You have no chance…Over!” was the last thing I heard before he took off past the trees. I shake my head and holding the walkie-talkie to my mouth I press the button.

“Good luck Carter…But I’ll find my safe place…”