chapter nine

{unedited}

Friday rolled around too fast for my liking.

After I decided I wasn't going on the double date with Calum, I called into work and told them I'm free. I know I should've told Michael that I'm no longer going on the date, but I'm still slightly mad at him. Who just bails like that? I wasn't even a one night stand.

After school was done, I hopped into my car and made my way to the library, where I will spend my peacefully spend my night undisturbed.
+++

"Delaney, would you mind putting these stacks of books away? My arthritis is acting up and i can't really bend down," Ingrid sighed with a hopeful smile.

"Of course," I replied, taking the stack of 1940 History books out of her grasps and heading to the back corner of the library. Ingrid is my boss who has run this library since she was 18, so she told me. She's a very frail woman who is turning 79 this year.

While stacking books, I heard the door chime but payed no attention, focusing on Elton Johns voice as it slowed through the library's speakers.
"Pst, Delaney." Just ignore it, Delaney, they'll go away. "Delaney, pst. Hey Delaney, hey, hey Dela-"

"What?!" I whisper yelled, praying that we weren't too loud.

"Hi," he smiled, showing off his pearly whites. Without responding, I turned around and went back to working. "Listen, I have something to tell you," he said nervously.

"Can't this wait, Ash? I'm kind of busy if you haven't noticed." I didn't mean to be harsh, but I was not in the mood to be bothered.

"No, it really can't."

"Then what is it?"

"I- well uh, I-"

"Ashton!"

"I'm the reason Michael left you." This whole week I've been in a slump because of Michael. He's never left my brain, and to find out my best friend is the reason for it has me dumbfounded.

"What the fu-"

"Delaney?"

You have got to be kidding me.