chapter one

{unedited}

Adjusting my Dairy Queen name tag on my uniform, I huffed in annoyance at the fact that they can't spell my name right and won't fix it. I hate this job. Just yesterday, I was rebellious enough to step by the 'Wet Floor' sign thinking that this time it was going to be dry. It wasn't, ending in my butt connecting with the floor, but in my defense, it looked completely dry. Then the day before that, I was using the ice cream machine when there was a malfunction, causing ice cream to spew out of the sides. I would quit, but I need money just as much as any other 17 year old girl.

Checking the time, I saw that it read 8:30, meaning I only had a half hour left of work. We only had a couple of customers, meaning I didn't really have much to do, so I decided to take a seat on the rusting stool behind the counter.

Playing with my brown hair, I took notice of how many split ends I had. Ugh gross, I seriously need a hair cut. Maybe with this paycheck I could get it cut and add some color. I wonder what I would look like with blonde or maybe-, I thought to myself until I heard the bell beside the cash register ding, meaning a customer had been waiting.

"I'm so sorry I kept you waiting. Are you ready to order, sir?" I asked, feeling heat rise to my cheeks as I looked at the green haired guy in front of me.

"I'll have a small S'mores blizzard," he said, taking out his wallet. As he did this, I took the chance to actually look at him. He had fluffy green hair that almost looked softer than the kitten I had at home, a plain black t-shirt paired with black, ripped jeans and Vans. He had the cutest nose and the longest eyelashes that brushed his cheeks as he blinked. "Um, miss?"

"Huh, what?" I squeaked as I jumped, knocking the stool over behind me. "Shit," I muttered, picking it up. Turning back to green haired guy, I saw that he was trying not to laugh, causing me to blush an ugly shade of red. "That'll be $3.49," I muttered, not daring to look him in the eyes as he handed me the money. Going to make his ice cream, I couldn't help but cuss profanities under my breath. I was so deep into in my own world that I didn't even notice that he saw me checking him out. Why do I always seem to embarrass myself?, I sighed.

Going back, I handed him his order and apologized.

"Don't sweat it. See you around-," he looked at my name tag, trying to read it.

"It's Delaney," I smiled. Thanks Dairy Queen for spelling it Danaley.

"Michael," he smiled.

"Nice to meet you, Michael," I smiled back.

"Hope to see you around," he said before leaving.

"You too," I said to nobody in particular.