Chapter six-Life and strength

POV: Natsu

            “Damn it!” I yelled when I was sufficiently lost in the outskirts of Magnolia.

            “Natsu, what's wrong?” Happy fluttered by my shoulder, I tried to make my ragged breathing match his wing beats,

            “If I spend any more time with any of them... especially Lucy, I may hurt them! I didn’t ask for any of this!” I shrieked up at the sky, wondering if there was someone up there who had cursed me.

            “No, you were born with it.” the voice came from the forest itself, from everywhere and nowhere, it was impossible to pinpoint even with my stellar hearing. But the smell leaped out to me at once.

            “Why the hell are you bothering Fairy Tail?” I snapped, not even attempting to hide the venom in my words.

            “Fairy Tail is the last of my concerns, I was just curious about you.” She slithered out from behind me, wrapping slender arms around my neck to rest lengthy fingers on my chest. “They say that you're the strongest dragon slayer,” she put her ruby lips to my ear, “But they're wrong.” she spun me around roughly, her spindly fingers gripping my shoulders.

            “What do you want from me?” I growled, focusing all my energy on containing my irrepressible fire.

            “An agreement.” Among the emerald green forest, her narrow, gray eyes seemed even harsher. “You need to be stronger, then you wouldn't have to deal with this- this horrible lack of control.” she pursed her lips and I drew back, pushing her away from me; how could she know what was happening to me?          

“And all I want from you is dedication. Just imagine it...” The slim woman held her palms up -one was badly scarred- so that it seemed that she had cornered the sun filtering through the leaves. She blinked slowly and let a cool breeze blow her ebony hair into her face. “Imagine protecting your friends and family. You could protect Erza, Gildarts, even your master. See yourself with the strength to support everyone around you, to not fear death, or that of those you hold dear. Watch as people bow before you in awe and beg for what only you can grant them...” she trailed off letting slits of eyes gauge my reaction.

            “People need weakness and fear, Gildarts taught me that.” I whispered, but the image she had set... it was beautiful. I could keep Lucy safe; she would never have to cry. And Erza would never again offer her life for my own. I hated myself for even considering believing the woman.

            “Dear Natsu, your words do not seem to match your thoughts.” she let her hands slowly descend, and rest about mine. “Gildarts...as far as I recall, he wasn't there yesterday, was he? He did not fight with you and that was fear, weakness.” she squeezed my hand; “You don't want that for yourself, do you?”

            “Leave me alone.” my hands in hers began to heat up,

            “You can't think of a logical reason not to accept my offer?” she smiled, a cruel, sharp-toothed thing.

            “No, I mean that I don't trust you, and that I want you to GO AWAY!” I shouted, flame springing up on my fists. She made a soft clicking sound with her tongue and I heard her lips spread in a grin, the flames didn’t bother her.

            “Darling, it's not worth it, unless you take my offer you won’t be rid of me and I'll just keep hurting your friends.” she put a delicate finger to her lips, “a shame really, if scars were to mar that pretty girl's face... what was her name again?” on her mouth her fingertips began to tap rapidly, “Ah! That's it, Lucy!”

            I felt my eyes widen, my mouth dropped open, and for half of a second the world stopped, the woman’s glare froze, her sadistic grin branded itself into my mind, and my blaze leaped yards into the air, wrapping around an imaginary throat, “If you touch even one hair on her head I personally will end your miserable existence!” Finally she recoiled back, but then immediately comported herself dutifully. “Stay the hell away from her.” I snarled,

            “Now now, calm down dear young, misguided child, agree to my terms - they are all in your benefit - and I will never again lay a hand on her. Otherwise...” Threatening eyes dropped down to her fingernails, long, and black. She stretched her entire, elegant, body, flexing her fists, reaching to the sky, pointing petite toes; afterwards she placed a palm over her mouth and yawned, “I'm tired of this, tell me, which do you choose, to let the girl die and be weak, or to let her live and be strong?”

She turned towards me and placed her hand, open, in the air, “What do you choose?”