Chapter nine-Kiss

POV: Lucy

“Natsu...you need to get this looked at.” I mumbled, terrified, but I knew that there was only one person who could sink Natsu to this level... the Tattooed Woman.

“Who did it?” Erza whispered, her voice nearly breaking, like she felt badly, why?

“Natsu, just tell me who to kill.” Grey growled, taking a deep breath, he tried to calm himself.

“It's really not a big deal. I'm fine.” Natsu grinned broadly, but his face pinched in, and it quickly became a grimace,

“Oh, hell, just tell us already.” the other woman snapped, almost immediately regretting it, like she was trying to make up for something.

“Rothe...” he breathed out, letting the name slide from his lips like a surrendering flag.

“Rothe!” I knew that I'd heard it before!” Levy cried from her corner, slamming her book down on the floor, and shoveling up a new stack, “Spelled with an E, right?”

“I-I think so.” I almost wanted to laugh at the adorable expression on his face, just the cutest combination of sadness, confusion, and Natsuness.

“Hey, guys,” I started, but Erza nodded to me, and grabbed Grey by the arm, pulling him out of the room; on her way she lured Levy out by taking the book she was currently reading.

“What's up, Lucy?” He asked, cocking his head a bit to the side as the door fell closed.

“I was just wondering... you know... I- you, we...” I trailed off, letting my chin fall and a delicate blush creep onto my cheeks. I watched Natsu gingerly push himself to sitting, causing a brief bout of pain, but after that, he was able to look into my eyes.

“Natsu...”

“Lucy I'm leaving here in two days.” he blurted out, then he was overtaken by a huge sigh that left him coughing and holding his side.

“You are..? Why?”

“You don't need to know that.” he avoided my eyes,

“Natsu, I lo- I l... I like you...” I let out a heavy breath, I just couldn't say it, what if he didn't feel that way for me, and then for these last two days we had, our friendship was ruined? He blinked, then whispered something, “What was that?” I queried,

“Come here.” he said louder, I complied, standing right next to him, to the point that I could feel the heat radiating off his body. Then, all in a flash, he shoved himself off the bed, his scarf sliding from his neck, leaving him entirely bare-chested; I couldn't help from staring at his muscled arms and chest, reaching out and touching his shoulder gently for fear of causing him more pain.

“Lucy,” He winced a bit, then placed a hand on the back of my hair, twining his fingers into it and pulling me to him. At first I tried to pull back, but then his lips met mine. Natsu threw his other arm around my back and waist, holding me even closer. My hands fluttered by my side, I couldn't hold him like he held me due to his wounds. Then I saw his eyes closed, felt his body against mine, and flung one hand into his short, rough hair, the other to his bare back. Smooth fingers ran down his cuts and sores, but he didn't seem to notice, neither of us felt anything or heard anything but our gasps for breath, hands in each other's hair, and our lips pressed together.

When eventually we fell apart, disentangling ourselves, we dropped onto the bed, sitting side by side, both with rugged breathing and ruffled hair.

“I love you.” Natsu panted, letting me rest my head on his shoulder.

“I- I love you to.” the whole room seemed electric, I didn't have to say it first, Natsu loved me! “But you're leaving soon...” I mumbled, my mood immediately graying. My pale hand rose and rested on the boy's tan chest, “Please stay.” I begged, “I love you.” I said again, appreciating the feel of the words on my tongue.