Chapter 9

“Here we are guys,” Dad said as he pulling into a flat clearing,” This is going to be our home for the weekend.”

I looked around, with a little smile on my face as Chase said,” I can’t tell you the last time I went camping with my parents. This should be fun.”

We got out of my dad’s truck and I took a deep breath. I heard a vehicle pull up behind us and I turned to fine Uncle Trey, Tyson and Tara. I smiled as soon as Tara got out of their truck. She ran over to me, throwing her arms around me with a laugh.

“I’m so ready to have a great weekend,” She said.

“How about the two of you go find some fire wood and sticks, while we sent up the tents,” Dad said walking over to us.

“We can do that,” I replied with a nod as Tara pulled away.

“Just stay close to the clearing.”

Tara grabbed my hand and she pulled me over to a bunch of trees. We started to gather things in silence for a while before Tara asked,” So how are things between you and Chase?”

“What do you mean?” I asked, confused, looking at her.

“Are the two of you an item?”

“No. Why would you think that?” I asked, picking up a stick.

“I don’t know… It’s just that the two of you are getting along and stuff,” She replied,” I just thought, that maybe he had asked you to be his girlfriend.”

“He hasn’t asked,” I said,” And I don’t think it’s going to happen.”

“Why not?”

“I don’t know… He probably thinks I am just annoying girl or something.”

“Didn’t you tell me that he got jealous when your friend Russell was here?” She asked, walking over to me.

“Yeah.”

“Then he totally likes you.”

I rolled my eyes as we made our way back to the guys. They were just finishing up the last tent when we finally got to them.

“Thanks girls,” Dad replied, giving me a little hug after we dropped the sticks,” You and go set up your tent now.”

“Alright,” I replied pulling away from my dad.

Tara and I grabbed our stuff out of our vehicles and we started to fix up our tent. I was in the middle of unrolling my sleeping bag when Tara made a squeaking noise. I looked over towards her to see her staring at a spider that was on the wall.

“Just kill it,” I said, looking away from her.

“But I can’t kill a living thing,” She replied with a whine.

I sighed, shaking my head as I moved over towards her. I looked at the spider for a second before I quickly brushed my hand over it, sending it out the door. I turned towards her with a frown on my face and she gave me a little shrug.

“Hey Tara! Have you seen the lantern?” Tyson yelled from outside.

“Check underneath the backseat!” Tara yelled back as she unrolled her sleeping back next to mine.

I placed my pillow on top of mine and I carefully crawled out of the tent. I stood up, brushing my jeans off, just in tim to see Chase crawling out of his tent, that he was sharing with Tyson. He gave me a little nod and I smiled in return.

“There,” I heard dad say,” That didn’t take us very long.”

I turned towards him, to find him stand in front of the fire. I walked over to him, staring at it with a smile on my face.