Vol 3 - Chapter 21 - Shining Star

"As for battle during the night, generally speaking it is important that you are not discovered by your opponent." (Hifumi)

Atop the roof while watching the retreating soldiers, Hifumi explained to Origa and Kasha before starting to act.

In the moonlight, Origa's group could vaguely see the stature of Hifumi but not his facial expression.

"Be aware of the location where the light won't shine on you. Erase your presence. And then, without making a sound, kill. Take care that you don't hit on metal with the hamono. Don't give your opponent the chance to yell. Make sure the corpse drops silently." (Hifumi)

Hifumi explained the necessary movement to draw a walking person towards your own direction and also how to use the hamono while affixing the katana to his waist.

"Properly use the palm at the time of covering their mouth. Fingers and the arm can be bitten. Shut their nose since people can still scream through their nose." (Hifumi)

Suddenly being unable to breathe, only that is already plenty to cause chaos, Hifumi said.

"Well then, let's go!" (Hifumi)

"Ano ... how do you plan to get down?" (Origa)

Their current location was at the rooftop of a two-storied building.

Origa was scared as she peered down on the dark road surface.

"At only such a height, you jump down, no?" (Hifumi)

"... This height is a bit ..." (Origa)

"Me too, it's impossible, I think ..." (Kasha)

"Guess it can't be helped. I will catch you, so jump down in order." (Hifumi)

Without waiting for an answer, Hifumi nimbly descended into the darkness.

"Come down ..." (Hifumi)

"... Alright, Kasha I will go first." (Origa)

Timidly peering down while confirming Hifumi's location, Origa held her breath and jumped off the roof.

After seeing her off, Kasha's ears caught a small shriek from below which confirmed that she had likely been caught safely.

"Since Origa is light, it's fine, but ..." (Kasha)

Kasha looked down at the gear she was wearing.

A metal armor and two swords, and although she didn't think her own weight was overly much, adding it together with the equipment she was certainly quite heavy.

Even so, she was reluctant to stay on the rooftop as is.

She knew there was no time either.

Although they were soldiers from another country, that small girl might still be tortured right at this moment.

Or if they were too late, she could possibly be killed.

Thinking of it that way, it was foolish to falter for such a reason, thus Kasha resolved herself.

"Master, I believe in you." (Kasha)

Though it looked like she was preparing to run away, Kasha finally jumped down as well.

Hifumi skillfully caught the falling Kasha sideways and used the adjourning wall to kill the momentum.

"You aren't injured, right?" (Hifumi)

"U, un ... thank you, master." (Kasha)

Is it due to being afraid or is it due to being carried in his arms? Kasha felt like her own heart beat had increased. Trying to not ponder about unnecessary matters, she quickly checked her equipment.