Vol 1 - Chapter 5 - True Colors

The shop that Kasha recommended,

'The Crude Dancer' was on a side road joining the main street. Restaurant during the day, seemed to become a pub at night.
Since Hifumi could not read, Kasha made a suitable order of a meat dish and salad.
After waiting for about 10 minutes, what came over was a platter of fresh vegetables and a meat dish that looked like lamb chops cooked in tomato-like sauce.
「 Quite delicious. You seem to know some good shops. 」
Stuffing food in his mouth, Hifumi nodded at Kasha and Origa sitting opposite him. Both of them were eating a stew-like dish with bread.
「 Right? Though there aren't too many people here, the food is good... 」 (Kasha )
「 Don't make noise while eating. It's bad manners. 」
Like in the previous world, there were forks and knives, the food was delicious, though its origin was unknown. Hifumi was secretly relieved that the meals in this world were suitable.
As it is, sitting with slaves to eat a meal is considered extremely degrading, whats more, giving the slaves rough cereals while sitting on the floor was the norm. But Hifumi made the two sit side by side and order whatever they wanted.
Hifumi didn't care about custom, and stood by his own standards.
「 Gu.... Anyway, before, the explanation about that thing? 」
「 What thing? 」
Looking around and confirming that no one was nearby, Kasha asked
「 Being chased by the royal family, just what did you do.... 」
「 Ah, I killed some Knights and cut the King's head off. A while ago. 」

From the very beginning, Hifumi had no intention of concealing or deceiving his origin and events in the castle.
He followed his own path, causing trouble and danger, so the result of his choices was natural. Moreover, he had decided that he would not be bound to anything in the future, and would live freely, according to his own wishes.

Ah well, it appears as though my strength can cut down and confront any obstacles.
Seems like I can wander about enjoying life...

Being told about the tragedy in the castle as though unimportant, Kasha and Origa lost their appetites.
They were in doubt but asked when they saw Hifumi continue with his meal.
「 Is that fine? 」
Origa asked timidly.
「 Though I don't doubt it, if the story is true, then Knights and soldiers will soon be coming after us.... 」
「 Before that, I left the castle. 」
While drinking the tea that came after the meal, Hifumi turned his gaze to a table a little away from them. Two men who came in after Hifumi were eating while talking about something.
「 From the castle, the princess sent me out. That guy should understand that he is no match for me, a Knight. Simply chasing, not arresting or killing, he is lucky to just be observed. 」

Hifumi calmly rose from his table, walking over to the duo's table, he affably said.
「 Good work, guys. 」
「 Wh-What do you... 」
The men were extremely surprised, backing away a little.
Quickly sitting down on the newly-vacated space, Hifumi says with a smile,
「 We met at he castle a while ago. Observation duties, is it. 」
To Hifumi's words, the men held their breath.
「 Though I am not good at remembering faces, I'm good at remembering bodies. 」

(TN: *holds head* .... We even had a serious mood going...)

Hifumi tapped the table with his forefinger while saying lines that could be heavily misunderstood.
According to Hifumi, the two men were Knights who happened to be present at the killing site. The two people who survived, were disguised as ordinary people and were observing Hifumi.

Their instructions were simple: Observe and report. They were ordered not to raise a hand, no matter what. On being contacted by their observation target, they were covered with a cold sweat, why, they did not know.

「 Ah well, it is impossible for those employed in the castle to do this kind of espionage work. This should be left to the professionals. There is still a long way to go for the sweet oujousama. 」