Vol 7 - Chapter 55 - By Myself

"Whhhaaaat did you say!" (Stiffels)

As they are steadily getting closer to Münster's gate, before Stiffels' eyes the large front gate is left open allowing anyone to see quite well into the city.
And in there are no people at all, not outside the gate, not inside and not even on the streets of the city.
The first to realize this was Stiffels who was at the head of the troops.
Following after him, the knights noticed the abnormality of the city as well.

"C-Captain!" (Knight)

"What will we do now!?" (Knight)

They are pressed with intense force by the soldiers from Horant from the back. As it is a serious looking mass urging closer with their weapons in their hands, Stiffels appeared to be even more frightened.
Stiffels takes the situation into consideration.
It is a bad move to step into the city as it is now. If the city falls into ruin, it will become difficult to disprove it being my blunder. Even if we turned away from here, it wouldn't be possible to disregard the damages.
If it's like that...

"All soldiers, as soon as we finally reach the city, we will divide to the left and right and pincer attack the enemy, just as planned! During the pincer operation we will use the gate to confine the enemy!" (Stiffels)

"U-Understood!" (Soldiers)

While he is explaining, the city gate draws nearer.
Commanding the soldiers, the knights following their duty, split up left and right accompanied by the soldiers.
A few of Horant's soldiers are lured by that and follow them, but the great majority advances directly towards Münster.

"Close it! Hurry!" (Stiffels)

Stiffels shouts.
The knight order, dismounting their horses as if falling off, desperately shuts the gate and affixes the bolt.
After a few moments sounds of knocking against the thick wooden gate reverberate. Furthermore, from the other side, the voices of the pincer attacking soldiers and the sounds of weapons clashing arise.
While listening to the frenzied uproar on the opposite side of the door, Stiffels dismounted.

"(What is Biron thinking to abandon the city!?)" (Stiffels)

Failing his plan, Stiffels looks ahead in the direction of the side facing the royal capital trembling in rage.
Even as he watches the road in front until it gets blurry, he can't see the city's residents.

"I will definitely kill you! After pulverizing the lot from Horant, it will be your turn, you son of a bitch!" (Stiffels)

◆◇◆◇◆

Earl Biron was at the end of the line of the escaping residents in Münster, close to the exit towards the royal capital.
At the beginning of the escape Sabnak asked Biron to be in the centre of the group because of the danger, but without yielding even a bit, Biron himself works alongside the rear guard of Sabnak's Third Knight Order with only his wife and children having gone ahead.

"It's been a while since I wore an armor. It feels uncomfortable." (Biron)

Though it even has been a while since he last mounted a horse, Biron is carefree.
A single soldier rushes over to the mounted Sabnak and reports something.

"... The messenger came. Brother-in-law-san, it seems the enemy army arrived at Münster." (Sabnak)

"Ah, the enemy army, eh? It is nice if they gather all together like this." (Biron)

Feeling like he can hear the sounds of the death struggle in the far distance, Biron looks up to the sky while pondering.

"It will become easy if we can successfully meet up with Earl Tohno on the road leading to the capital after this." (Biron)