Vol 8 - Chapter 57 - Bad Medicine

On the other side of Münster's gate facing towards Horant's side, the sounds of battle are still reverberating.
With nothing but the allies's voices being audible, you might think they are superior if you only listen to the high-spirited voices, but the enemies, not feeling any fear, don't raise their voices even if they are chopped up.
If you go by the numbers, the allies are fewer. Sometimes screams, doubtlessly belonging to their own troops, can be heard as well.

"Shit, as it is now..." (Stiffels)

Stiffels, thinking that they should have successfully surrounded them, was grinding his teeth as it took longer than he expected. Was the number of people doing the encirclement lacking? Or did he misread the enemy's combat prowess?

"It can't be helped. We will support them!" (Stiffels)

"B-But captain, if they surge into the city, it will become a chaotic battle!" (Knight)

Stiffels glared at the objecting knight.

"Affix a rope to the gate! Make sure to open it so that only one person fits through! Those entangled by the rope and those who got through will be stabbed to death with spears in turns!" (Stiffels)

"U-Understood!" (Knight)

While getting irritated at the knights, who began to move as they were ordered, Stiffels grasped his spear. The way of the sword is his forte, but the spear is better if you want to simultaneously attack several people from a distance.
Before long the preparations have been completed. A single knight slowly removes the secured bolt.
Stiffels stands at a place a little bit away from the aperture in the front. He is prepared to thrust out the spear at any time.
With only opening the crack a tiny bit, he can hear the leaking mania on the other side of the gate. A thick stench of blood drifts to him.

"Open it more! Everybody, match your breaths and attack!" (Stiffels)

Obeying the order, they confront the approaching enemies. It's the figures of Horant's soldiers beating on the door while being expressionless.

"Oof!"

The forcefully thrust spearhead accurately seized the neck of a soldier from Horant.
In the back of the fallen soldier another likewise expressionless soldier stands. Next, his eyes are stabbed by a knight's spear and the soldier passes away.
Repeating these actions, the enemies, people who aren't scared or don't scream, are one-sidedly slaughtered.
Around the time he began to feel his arms getting heavy, Stiffels suddenly noticed that the voices, raised by his allied soldiers, had decreased.
Although the soldiers from Horant should also have been decreased by quite a bit, his arms, wielding the spear, were filled with strength due to the dread that he would become a foolish commander who received a devastating defeat.
In that moment, the rope, which had been damaged repeatedly, was severed in one go.

"What!" (Stiffels)

Being preoccupied with the unbelievable sight for just an instant, the gate opened fully in the next second. Horant's soldiers literally came flooding in.

"R-Retreat!" (Stiffels)

How many have been able to hear Stiffel's order?
Some were sent flying by the gate opening abruptly and some were beaten to death by the soldiers from Horant while being overcome with surprise. In an instant half of the Second Knight Order was swallowed by a wave of enemies.
Without even giving the dying of his subordinates a single glance, Stiffels threw away his spear and ran.
Because the movements of the soldiers from Horant were sluggish, he steadily gained distance. Even so, Stiffels kept running.
However, what awaits him at the place ahead isn't hope.

◆◇◆◇◆

"Beirevra died. The First Knight Order is also completely destroyed." (Magician A)