Ellie Smith: Sentry Chapter Three

It's been a couple days and the letter hasn't come. I get home as fast as I can everyday to check for it before someone else finds it. Schools the same. People talk, send sorrowful looks my way. I've been in school for almost a week now. Today I zoned out during math and now the teacher wanted to talk to me after school.

            I walked to Mr. Algen's room and walked up to his desk. He was concentrating really hard on something on his computer screen. He didn't hear me come in the room. I cleared my throat and he looked up. He had that 'I feel sorry for you' look. He took his glasses off and sat them on his desk. He wasn't old, but he wasn't young. He had brown hair that was starting to gray and a few crow's feet outlining his eyes.

            "Ms.Smith we're worried about you," he said as I tried to figure out who "we" were. But, he saw the confused look on my face and must of understood my confusion. "The rest of your teachers and I feel that you are struggling coming here. We know the memories you must have. Losing a loved one is hard. We feel it's in your best interest to attend North York Academy," he said and I wonder how he knew about that. "The institute has called for your information about grades and such," he said and I looked stunned. I quickly recovered and looked at him.

            "Well, thanks for the advice but I don't think it's your decision to make," With that I walked out of the room. I quickly scrambled to my car in the senior parking lot. I work as a mechanics assistant for two years to be able to buy this car. My parents still had to help out a little though. My car is a 1969 blue Camaro. I call her Delia.

            I turned on the radio and rolled down the window. It was warm out and a little humid. Typical weather for Ohio in the summer. I went through a drive through to get something to drink then headed home.  I pulled into the driveway and saw my mom already home. I suddenly remembered the letter and ran to the mailbox. The mail was already gone. I sighed and headed inside. I walked into the kitchen and found a pile of mail. On top was an opened acceptance letter to North York Academy.

            I walked into the living room and my mom was on the couching watching Oprah. She looked up at me and smiled. "Sweetheart you got in to North York," she said in a soothing tone with a soft smile on her face.

            "Yeah, I know mom," I told her with a sigh. She must of thought I just saw the letter and figured it out. "Mom, why are you home so early ?"

            "Honey, I always come home early on your birthday. Happy 17th." She smiled. Wow, how did I not notice it was September second. I can't believe I had forgotten my birthday. My mom reached over to the coffee table and then handed me an envelope. I opened it and saw the cash inside.

            "Mom! This is 600 dollars. Are you crazy?" I said in an incredulous voice.

            "It's for that sound system you want to put in your car. We didn't know the exact price of that so we decided to just give you that. Now I want to talk about the Academy. Honey, your father and I think you should go. You need to get away from this town. We know how hard it is for you since Blake died," I could feel tears well up in my eyes at the sound of his name.

            I sniffled then said-"Mom, I just don't think I could handle that. It's too far and I don't know anyone there. Besides I would miss the babies too much".

            "Sweetheart you will be fine without your little siblings. And, you will be home in a few months for Christmas anyway and get to see everyone. You need this Ellie. You don't understand how hard it is to see you like this. The only time I have seen you as happy as you were with Blake was when you were in the garage or playing guitar. You already quit your job with Uncle David at the garage, so you have to go. We will even send your car over too. Please, dear you need this," She begged me. She had tears in her big brown eyes and her little nose was turning red. I couldn't see her like this. Not my happy go lucky mom. I decided to concede and go.