Ellie Smith: Sentry Chapter Five

I looked at all the stuff I was taking with me to the Academy. It was probably going to cost more to take all this then the actual plane ticket. I sighed. My mom had gone a little over board with the shopping yesterday. She got me a bed in a bag set from Linens and Things. It was appropriately named City Bamboo Scene. It was light green and had white bamboo rods all over it. The set came with sheets and everything the bed needed. We got a twin size, because that was the size of the beds there. That would taking getting used to. I had a queen bed in my room and I used up all of the space on it.

            My mom also bought me some things for my bathroom because the school had adjoining bathrooms to all the rooms. That was something I was thankful for. I was also thankful for the fact that I got my own room. The school could afford that. Every student got their own room because, let's just say the school isn't cheap. Anyway, I got a clear shower curtain with black and white geo squares on it. I also got a black shower caddy to go in it. We decided I would just buy shampoo and stuff when I got to London, so we wouldn't have to deal with checking it all out. She also got me a set of accessories that were checkered black and white that included a tooth brush holder, a soap dish, lotion dispenser, tissue boutique, and a waste basket. My mom also decided that I should just get a new set of towels. They were black and white to match the rest of the bathroom.

            We also bought a small desk lamp that I could set at the desk in  my room. My mom wanted to buy me an alarm clock too, but I reined her back from that and told her there was an alarm on my Ipod dock. But, we still bought plenty of other things I didn't need. She got me a laundry bag because of the communal laundry room, even though I told her I could just use a trash bag. She got me a portable ironing board and an iron even though, I can't remember ever using an iron. She bought me a small bookshelf that I would have to assemble myself once I got there. She got me a mini fridge, which I actually did want. It was a stainless steel.

            We got a couple of green pillows to put on the couch in the room. My mom had apparently went on the school website and looked at the dorms. We finally finished our little shopping expedition with some hangers that I could put in the closet. I knew it would make her happy buying all of that stuff. She was always redecorating the house with the new trends that she loved.

                        I decided to head downstairs to see if I could borrow my mom's car. We had already shipped my car over to London so it would be there when I got arrived. I wanted to use my mom's 2010 Boxster S Porshe. It was hot red. The flashiness of it matched my mom's personality.          

            "Hey, mom could I borrow your car? I want to get a couple of posters and picture frames for my room," I knew she would let me, but I always asked just to be sure.

            "Oh, of course dear. Why didn't I think about that yesterday? Here's some money," She handed me two hundred dollars.

            "Mom, I have money. Besides I don't need this much," I tried to give her the money back but she pushed it away.

            "I want to pay for it. My book is doing really well and your dad's practice is doing very well, so we have the extra cash anyway. You can buy a couple of new outfits too, if you want. Don't worry about it," she said. I knew her book was doing well. I checked the New York Times best seller list every week. Her poetry was moving up day by day. Right now she was at number three.

            "Alright mom. Thanks," I said gratefully, then headed out the door. I climbed into her beautiful car, which I had helped her pick out early that year. She was tired  of just driving the minivan around and I convinced her that a bestselling poet needed a cooler ride. She still had the minivan but, only used that to chauffeur my little siblings around.