Chapter 6

*joey's p.o.v

Being called to the office is always nerve-wracking. You never know what will happen. My class room isn't to far away but I almost ran. In the office my sister Nicole with Jett hanging on to her sleeve. She had a sad look on her face and I saw her eyes were puffy.

"What happened? What's going on?" I asked. No one said a word. "Tell me!" I said loudly. All Nicole did was shake her head. I saw some tears fall down her cheeks.

Sniffling, Nicole began to talk, "Joey, it-it's mom." Wiping away tears she continued. "She overdosed on pills and alch-" before she could finish I sprinted out of the office to the nearest bathroom. Kneeling over the toilet, I emptied my stomach. After convulsing a few times I stood up.

Leaning against the wall, I slid down to the floor. There I began to cry. I just sat there, knees curled to my chest crying. At the moment I didn't care if anyone saw me. My thoughts raced and I thought of the worst possible scenarios.  I tend to do that when I get upset.

 I heard footsteps but didn't look up. After a while, someone sat next to me. "What's wrong?" a familiar voice asked. Turning I saw Daniel. Before I could speak I burst in to tears. Daniel put his arm around me and I put my head on his shoulder, crying harder.

Gently, Daniel rubbed circles on my back. It was surprisingly soothing. After a few minutes I stopped crying but stayed where I was. Daniel and I sat in silence, me leaning against him. "Can you tell me what happened?" he asked quietly.

Wiping my eyes I looked at him. "My-my mom. She-" I stopped, to embarrassed. Besides, he wouldn't even care. Yet there was so much concern in his eyes. "She overdosed on pills and alcohol." I ended quietly.

"Don't worry. I'm sure she'll be okay." Daniel said. "How about after school you come to my house."

"Really?" I asked.

"Really." he said, smiling at me.

~~~

After school, as promised, Daniel took me to his house. He had met me at my locker, ignoring his group of friends. Before I went with him I made sure Nicole would keep care of Jett for me. In Daniel's car he turned the radio on but kept the volume low.

We didn't really talk, just quietly sang along together. As we passed my house I started to feel sad again. But I pushed it away. This is the time where I don't worry about home life. Tonight I just have fun away from home.

The houses in Daniel's neighborhood are so much nicer than mine. Every house is in pristine condition, the houses in mine have chipped paint and old crumbling bricks. Okay, maybe not that bad but still not as good as these.

Daniel's house was really nice. The outside was beautiful. A garden full of color, clean cut grass, a tree for shade. The inside was beautiful as well. Everything was new and looked new. His room was almost as big as my living room.

"You can just set your bag wherever." Daniel told me. Dropping my bag by the door I looked around. It was really cool. While I stared in awe, Daniel straightened some things out. "Sorry that it's kinda messy."

"That's fine." I said. Daniel patted the spot next to him on his bed. Walking over, I sat next to him. "What do you want to do?" I asked.

"Do you want to play Call of Duty?" Daniel asked. I nodded, smiling. This is one of my favorite games. He handed me a controller and turned on his Xbox.

~~~

We played for a while before Daniel's mom called us down for dinner. Following closely behind Daniel I memorized his house. At the dining table there was grilled chicken, salad, and potatoes. Rarely at my house do we eat something like this.

"Thank you, Mrs. Preda." I said to Daniel's mom. She smiled at me nodding. No one was talking at the table. At my house we always talk at the dinner table. But respecting the way they work, I kept quiet. When I finished I went to put my plate in the sink but Daniel put a hand on my arm. He whispered to leave it.

He got up and led me back to his room, where we played more video games. By time we were done it was nearly eleven. "Do you wanna just stay the night?" Daniel asked.

"I don't have a change of clothes." I said. Going to his wardrobe, Daniel grabbed some clothes. He held them out to me. "You don't need to."

"Go change. The bathroom is there." Daniel said. When I just stood there he pushed me in to the bathroom. His bathroom was amazing. Not wanting to take to long I quickly changed. Surprisingly they fit. 

When I exited the bathroom Daniel was already changed. "I can sleep on the floor." I said.

"No, you can sleep in my bed." Daniel said. He looked around then sighed. "Do you mind sharing a bed?" I could feel my cheeks color slightly.

"That's not a problem." I said. Going to one side of the bed I climbed in, staying at the edge. The bed sunk beside me and I looked to see Daniel on the edge of the bed. I thought on saying goodnight but didn't.

Soon I was asleep, the warmth of Daniel next to me comforting me.

~~~

wow. 

so, I have a question. who wants me to start a one shot book (soon or in the future)? let me know in the comments. I'm thinking of ending this book soon. I'm thinking I'll go until 10 to 12 chapters.