Test Time

Veronica had always loved the ocean. She couldn't imagine living anywhere more than 20 minutes away. She was on the swim team at her high school, but swimming in a pool is nothing like the ocean. Veronica had already arrived at the beach. Today was the big test. The test that determined whether or not she would be approved as a lifeguard. That was her dream. Saving people's lives while doing what she loved. She closed her eyes and listened. Listened to the sound of waves crashing at the shore, sand blowing across her feet, squeals of laughter coming from young kids at the beach for their very first time and even birds swooping down to steal a sandwich from an unsuspecting someone. Nothing compared to this. Nowhere in the whole wide world was better than the ocean, especially during summer.

Summer was Veronica's favorite season for one reason alone. She was able to swim the whole day away if she wanted without her brother telling her to study and get good grades. Her brother and herself lived without their parents who had died several years ago. They didn't stay with relatives because all of them lived inland and Veronica's brother knew she could not stand being a several hundred miles away from the ocean. Her brother paid for everything necessary. A car was not one of them. They walked anywhere they could. If they could not, a friend would give them a ride. Soon her brother would be heading off to college so that was another reason she needed this job. She couldn't expect her brother to pay for his college and all the other needs. What if she didn't pass the test? No, Veronica couldn't think negatively. She would pass. There will be no if business. As she walked up to the lifeguard station she kept repeating those words. There will be no if business.

"You ready?" The lifeguard was looking directly at her eyes. She couldn't help but feel small when next to this 6'5" man.

She took in a deep breath. "I'm ready."