The Virtuous Women (By: Emonr7)

Virtuous. Every time I think of virtuous I think of a red ruby. And yet the bible says that a virtuous woman is worth far above rubies!

Proverbs 31:10-31 really talks about how a virtuous woman and her actions make her virtuous. Proverbs 31 was the words of King Lemuel; the prophecy that his mother taught him as it states in Proverbs 31:1. So King Lemuel's mom was teaching him and advising him. From Proverbs 31:10-31 King Lemuel talks about what his mother taught him about finding a virtuous wife. Basically, now a days our moms telling us to find like a good guy who will love us and love God above everything and you know having a long conversation on guys which is really awkward because most of us don't want to talk to our moms about who we like and stuff like that. But Lemuel's mom's really defines a virtuous woman. This is what she taught Lemuel:

10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. 11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. 12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. 13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. 14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar. 15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens. 16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard. 17She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. 18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night. 19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff. 20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy. 21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet. 22She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple. 23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land. 24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant. 25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. 26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. 27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. 28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. 29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. 30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the Lord , she shall be praised. 31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

Proverbs 31:10‭-‬31 KJV

Let's look at this verse by verse to find the characteristics of a virtuous woman.

1. Worth More than Rubies
Well, we know that she is worth more than rubies (Proverbs 31:10) so she isn't worthless. Women, just because the man the is the head of the family doesn't mean that we're worthless and we're just there to cook, clean, and have children. We are worth far more than that and it's important to know that. I'm not married yet, but I know that I have worth no matter what everyone else says.

2. Trustworthy
A virtuous woman is also trustworthy (Proverbs 31:11). The heart of her husband safely trusts her. Most of us I assume are not married and are teens...so: how does this apply to us? Simple. A virtuous woman is trustworthy not just to her husband but I assume to everyone. If a friend tells you a secret and she/he trusts you she/he will tell you without hesitation because they trust you enough. If you just go around telling the whole world you basically took that trust and threw it out the window. Trust has to be gained, but it is also easily lost.

3. Her Actions are Good
Another characteristic of a virtuous woman is that her actions are good (Proverbs 31:12). I mean this is common sense. We all know that we're supposed to do good wherever we are. A virtuous woman does good and not evil all the days of her life. A virtuous woman isn't an evildoer nor is she wicked while no one watches her, but she does good all the days of her life. It doesn't say, "She only does good when people are watching her," no, she does good all the days of her life while people are watching and still while people are not.