Chapter 8

It was like a breath of fresh air seeing them, or more, two breaths of fresh air. It felt amazing to see two familiar faces. Yes he had been skulking around Feferi and Eridan but they just...they weren't his Feferi or his Eridan. At least these two seemed a bit more like his friends. Just a tiny bit like them.

Equius was the first one he encountered. With Karkat protecting Her Imperial Radiance now he needed newer, better weapons and the troll for the job was Equius, or more formally known as The Marksman. His weapons were handmade and built to be nearly as strong as he was. They were perfection.

The first time Karkat saw Equius he felt the smallest of grins tug against his lips. The Marksman looked nearly the same as his Equius, the only difference here was the Aquarius and Pisces signs branded onto his upper arm and the right horn was completely intact. It was exhilarating seeing Equius and Karkat genuinely wanted to run over and hug him but he had a reputation here and he was intent on keeping it as it was. So instead he briskly retrieved his weapon and asked, though it sounded more like a command, that Equius join him in training soon. It wasn't much but for Karkat this was all he had for any kind of a chance to at least feel like he was back home.

~

"Come on dude. You and I both know that not bathing isn't exactly the smartest fucking thing to do especially since you're covered in goddamn cuts and dirt." It was like scolding a younger kid to stop playing and go to bed, only in this case it was an adult troll not wanting to take a bath.

"You just don't get it Dave...it's not that I don't want to take a bath, I'm not a fucking pig I know I need to be clean and shit, but I just...can't. I somehow got myself emotionally attached to the fucking blood and...I don't know I'll feel naked if I don't look like I just came out of battle!"

"What blood?! All the blood you had on you was washed off the last time you took a bath!" Karkat huffed in frustration and looked down. He knew this was silly and gross but he just...couldn't. It was a difficult for him to let go what little things he had left.

"Dave, I just don't want to take another bath! Can't you just accept that?!"Dave let out a sigh and stood up, locking himself in his room. Karkat frowned and looked down, his hand tightening into a fist. He was being stupid and he knew it. He was being irrational and disgusting and difficult and...and he was making Dave's life harder than it already was. Here Dave was, willingly volunteering to spend his days taking care of Karkat and going to work and supporting the two of them with whatever money he had and Karkat wasn't making his life any easier by refusing to take baths or eating or talking. The troll sighed and laid down on the couch, closing his eyes. A quick nap couldn't hurt, maybe when he woke up he'd be mature enough to bathe himself and make up with Dave...it was the least he could to make amends with the person sacrificing so much...

~

Dave was frustrated, fuck he was so frustrated. Taking care of Karkat was really stressing him out and he just couldn't handle it. Yes, he loved Karkat to death. Yes, he loved having Karkat near him and knowing he was safe. Yes, just told Karkat the other day that everything was fine and he wasn't bothering him or burdening him but...he was stressed.

Dave was spending money, a lot of money. Food, clothes, bills upon endless bills. Water, heat, electricity, food. Everything was suddenly costing more and Dave just didn't have the money. He was going to need to get a second job if he was going to keep up with everything.

Dave sighed and closed his eyes, lying back on his bed. Everything was supposed to go perfectly. He was supposed to fix Karkat, he was supposed to make everything right. He was supposed to make Karkat better so he could be happy again. Instead Dave was just making things worse and running himself in debt. And for what? A troll who didn't want to be fixed? A troll who didn't want to talk or eat or even take a simple fucking bath?