Chapter 17

"I'm not going to lie, I'm freaked out dude. Like, beyond freaked out." Dirk grunted in response to his brother and poured two cups of coffee, handing one to Dave before sitting down.

"Right. What exactly is it you're freaking out over? When you called earlier you just kept saying 'dude' and asking if you could come over. And now that I'm almost fully awake at," Dirk glanced over to the clock before resuming his sentence, "six in the morning I would like an actual explanation instead of just 'dude' repeatedly. Unless of course you've made a secret language for the two of us to use. If that's the case then you're a jackass for not handing me the translation sheet and helping me understanding what 'dude dude dude dude dude dude.' meant." Dave rolled his eyes at his brother's statement, an amused grin playing on his face.

"No I didn't but honestly that sounds like a great idea which we will explore more later on. Right now we have serious matters to discuss." Dirk nodded and took a sip of his coffee, motioning for Dave to begin. "I think Karkat may have of tried to kill me last night." The Prince of Heart nearly spat out his coffee at that, his eyes wide though that probably wasn't noticeable behind his triangular shades.

"What??"

"Listen, I'm probably wrong and I am praying to whoever the fuck that I am but...I swear I think he tried to kill me last night. Don't freak out or anything but--"

"What do you mean 'don't freak out'?? Dude, we just got out of living with the constant threat of dying. I am not going to just calmly sit off in the sidelines while you live in a house with a troll who has attempted to kill you." Dave opened his mouth to speak again but was once again cut off by Dirk. "No, wait," he sighed, "why exactly do you think he was trying to kill you? Let's start with that." 

"Right...Well as I was saying, last night... I don't know what happened to him but...fuck all right. So I was sleeping on the couch as usual and suddenly he just screams that he "can't do it" and of course that shit wakes me up. Now I see him sobbing and shaking in front of me, mumbling how he "can't do it." Of course the first thing I do is comfort him and shit but as I'm doing that, I see his fucking sickle next to him. So I put two and two together and..."

"And you think he tried to kill you." Dirk sighed out, running a hand through his hair. Dave nodded, a glum expression on his face. "Honestly Dave, I don't know what to tell you here. I mean...he tried to kill you. Under normal circumstances I'd say that you should probably just...stop. Stop trying to take care of him, stop trying to fix him, stop trying to do things for him. If he is trying to murder you while you're sleeping then dump him off on someone else but considering your previous relationship with him dumping him off on anyone is not going to happen any time soon. We haven't even touched your financial stability since he got here--"

"Yeah okay before we go into what a sad life I'm living I'd also like to mention that Karkat kept mumbling to himself in his weird cicada language...not that that really helps back up the want to keep him home and continue trying to help him. I just...I don't want to send him off to anyone else. He asked for me specifically. Me of all people! He could've gone for Kanaya or Terezi- hell he could've even asked for you! But for some strange reason he asked for me, even if he did say he was scared of me. I just...with that knowledge I feel like if I ask Kanaya or someone else to take care of him I'd feel like I'm letting him down and I don't want to feel like that...not again. Not anymore."

"I understand." Dirk reached over and patted his brother's shoulder. "So here's what I'm gonna tell you dude, I know you wanna keep doing this but you also have to think of yourself. Your needs and shit. You cannot just keep thinking exclusively on Karkat. To help him get better you have to make sure you're feeling one hundred percent mentally, emotionally, and physically. That means don't go wasting all your money on useless junk in hopes of getting Karkat to revert back to his old self. That means don't go overworking yourself so you can earn more money to buy previously said useless shit. That means don't spend all of your time with Karkat. You have other friends. Hang around with Roxy and John before they get married, hang out with Rose and Kanaya like old times. You can even come around here one of these days to hang out with Jake and I, but actually come over at a time with he isn't sleeping."

Dave nodded, pushing his shades up to the top of his head as he rubbed his eyes. Dirk was right, he couldn't be constantly tiring himself out just so he could make Karkat better, faster. No, that was something that needed time and making himself broke and constantly tired wasn't going to help anyone. Then again Dave was...Dave. He had gotten Karkat opening up and got him back on track so far...maybe his old methods would work again?

~

"Darling, what happened? I thought we agreed on something last night?" Duplicate Dave was leaning against his sword, pouting slightly. Karkat could barely make him out. Everything was so blurry all the sudden.

"We didn't agree on anything asshole, you manipulated me into doing what you wanted!"

"Correction, I gave you a helpful push in the direction you wanted to go in. You and I both know you subconsciously wanted kill him. It was...sort of like revenge. You can't kill me considering I am now an official part of your mind so you might as well get rid of the actual Dave. Don't even pretend like I ain't right." Karkat scowled and crossed his arms. 

"You know what? Fuck you. I don't have to listen to you. I can kill you right now. I can kill you slowly and make you beg for death."

"Mhmm, sure ya can short stack. You and I both the know the truth. As long as you are fast asleep I am the superior one. No matter how many times you actually "kill" me I'll always be back. And I will always be the one speaking the truth of your mind. I know exactly what you're thinking, and you hate that don't you?" Dave smirked maliciously and picked his sword up. "You hate how I know that you think about just running away and killing that Serket bitch. You hate how I know I only take up Dave's form now and not that piss blood's is because of your feelings for him. You hate how I know that you can't get rid of me. The clown may not be making me manifest in your nightmares anymore but I am burned in your brain. You can't get rid of me baby."

"One day I will. Mark my words. One day, I will fucking end you. So enjoy your stay here because before long I'm going to fucking destroy you. I will make sure you never crawl back inside of my fucking head." Karkat snarled, a lip curling over one of his fangs. Dave simply laughed and before Karkat knew what was going on Dave's sword was impaling Karkat's chest. 

Dark spots were appearing in Karkat's already blurry vision. He felt the sword painfully sliding out of him as Dave laughed viciously though he sounded far away. Karkat woke up with a start as Dave swung his sword down and sliced through Karkat's neck.