Fit For a Bride

The rest of the day went off without a hitch. They made it to the dress shop and got Cinder a sturdier disguise before watching Scarlet try on dress after poofy and sparkling dress with no luck. Finally, for a boost to her confidence, everyone, excluding the queen and bride, decided to try on some dresses.

Iko seated Scarlet in a throne-like chair. Cinder leaned against a wall in order to watch the show. While they ignored the shuffles and giggles of the girls and the extra store clerks, I checked the net.

MISSING QUEEN SELENE OF LUNA IS SPOTTED IN A FLORIST'S SHOP IN FRANCE!

RUMORS THAT SELENE AND KAITO ARE GETTING MARRIED

SECRET MARRIAGE BETWEEN LUNA AND THE EASTERN COMMONWEALTH

WHERE IS KAI?

LUNA? A REPUBLIC? SOUNDS GOOD, THEY'RE ALREADY MISSING A QUEEN!

Cinder groaned crouching against the white walls. She was ruini g their vacation already. And apparently she was going to get married? And her REPUBLIC plans were being mocked? She felt horrible now. Maybe she should go back now.

And leave everyone else.

And miss Kai more...

"Those headlines really aren't that crazy. I just don't know why you won't admit it."

Cinder glanced up at Scarlet. "Maybe because I'm not used to controlling a moon's worth of people. My love life isn't exactly at the top of my list."

"Excuses, excuses. Anyways, think about, all of the skeptics about Lunar strength and stability, would be silenced by an alliance. You would get your support for the republic. I mean, just saying. What would I know? I'm just a farmer from the other side of the world as you."

Cinder looked away, stifled and put down.

"Cinder, I'm not trying to sway you either way, okay. It's just a shame to put such a love story in the attic. Oh, by the way, you aren't messing up our plans. In fact, we knew something would go wrong. That's why this shop has curtains. And the "shopkeeper" is my best friend. We asked for a private session."

"So..."

"So go put on a dang dress."

Cinder ripped off the sunglasses and plucked a random and simple white gown off a rack and changed just in time to be part of the fashion show.

Iko flounced out of her room first. She wore an extra, extra long dress with a lot of skin showing. Scarlet wretched and sent her back. Then, Cress came out in something a little more modest, but it was only knee length. Another no. Winter stunned in a diamond spotted mermaid cut dress, but the price tag was better fit for a kingdom, not a bride. Even Emilie who knew her best couldn't wow her. Finally, Cinder came out in her super simple dress. It had spaghetti straps and a low slit and it was made of a soft cotton fabric. Scarlet sat up straight.

"Give me that dress."

They came out of the shop 40 minutes later after Scarlet found a veil and a red fur cowl to keep out the cold

They came out of the shop 40 minutes later after Scarlet found a veil and a red fur cowl to keep out the cold. Cinder paid for all of it with some family funds.

Scarlet and Wolf left the group at the Rampion before going home.

Cinder barely talked and seemed to be lost in thought. The next day, they helped clean out the barn and paint it so it was nice enough to take pictures in. And on the last day, they went sightseeing. The town was tiny, but cute. People still sold bread and flowers out of street stands. They visited a garden filled with roses and the group seemed to split off into twos without a cue.

Cinder reached for Kai's hand and he squeezed hers.

She sat on a bench and sighed.

"What's wrong." he asked.

She shook her head.

He sat on the bench next to her. Reaching up his hand he moved her hair away from her eyes. "Tell me."

"I'm not a queen, Kai. I'm not the lost princess of Luna. I'm a mechanic who fixed a prince's Android and ended up starting a war. I just want that simple, stupid life back."

He measured her words before replying. "No, I guess you're not a queen. But you are humble and compassionate and lovely and real. Everything queens are supposed to be. I suppose you didn't grow up the way everyone excpected, but you are most definitely royal."

Cinder scooted closer to him and laid her head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry I always push you away."

He leans his forehead against hers and touches her metal hand. "It's okay. I know you're still there."

Cinder presses her lips to his, knowing once she pulled the dusty quill out for their story, he wasn't ever going anywhere again. And neither was she.

Sorry I post so inconsistently. I've moved and gone on vacation and a bunch of other stuff in the last two weeks and it's been hard to find time. Anyways, thanks so much for reading and voting. This one has been so much fun to write. Wolflet is getting married next chapter and I'm thinking that Kai may make a surprise visit to Luna...