Falling Into Place

People started showing up 3 whole weeks before the wedding.

It had been a month since they were engaged. Now, it was April 7th, Kai's birthday. And he hadn't stepped out of his office all day. Cinder leaned against the wall, twisting her ring. There was some building project going on that he refused to tell her about, otherwise, she would be in their with him.

Instead, today she had met with a bunch of people about their wedding plans, greeted a bunch of people she didn't know, and balanced a lot of stress about the fact that Pain has been locked up in a room all day with nothing to eat or drink. Cool down required. Her interface told her.

Right. She was just nervous about the party tonight.

The party. Because the Crew was getting in at midnight and the boy needed a break. Kai was turning 19. And they were getting married in less than a month-right.

Back to the present, she finally heard the door unlock and was relieved to see blueprints and workers finally dissipate, leaving Kai alone at his desk.

She knocked on the door, "Can his majesty see me now?"

He looked up and smiled sadly. "Sorry. But those plans couldn't wait. I hope I didn't ruin the whole day."

"It's not ruined. I just hoped you wouldn't be locked in here on your birthday."

"My what?" he spun around to look at a calender on the wall.

"Idiot." she exclaimed, coming into the room and pulling him up by the arm.

"Hey, where are we going anyways?"

"Away. Where the florists and the carpenters and the tailors can't find us." she replied, straightening the collar of his shirt as they went.

"Wait, wait." he laughed, pulling her to a stop.

"What?"

"Are you, wearing a dress? By choice? And there aren't any grease stains?" he acted like he was in awe. She decided to dress up for his birthday celebration and wear a traditional qipao style dress.

It wasn't anything fancy, in fact it was the simplest one she could muster out of the extensive closet given to her by the castle seamstress. It wasn't anything fancy, in fact it was the simplest one she could muster out of the extensive closet given to her by the castle seamstress. Dresses never even looked very good on her boyish frame. The only reason she had worn one before was because it was an occasion, or because Kai took her on a date. Usually, something ended up on them. This was clean, true. She guessed that was the source of the confusion.

"Yeah, and?"

"Well, you look hot, so there's that."

She punched him in the shoulder and continued to race towards the roof.

He gripped onto her hand, nearly tripping several times. Then, she paused and swung the door open wide.

"SURPRISE!" yelled- Cinder, Scarlet, Wolf, Cress, Thorne, Winter, Jacin, Konn Torrin and Iko. At least, that's all the people he knew the names of. Also, was a ring of guards, and below them, hundreds of commoners. He looked out at the crowd, his face as crimson as the sunset.

"You did all this?" he asked Cinder.

She nodded, biting her lip.

He smiled, turning and kissing her with both hands on her cheeks. He heard plenty of teenage girls scream before he pulled away. Cinder was Furious.

Thorne called out, "Let's get this party started!", and music started to play.

"Wow." Kai said, looking over the railing.

"Do you like it?" she asked.

"Yeah. How did you get all of these people out here?"

"It wasn't too hard to get them all out here once I mentioned 'Kai' and 'Free Food'. Anyways, it was Iko's idea."

"This is pretty cool, Cin."

"Oh, I tried this earlier. Its cool too." She leaned over the banister and waved, causing an uproar of hundreds of people. Laughing, Kai grabbed her back and met up with everyone else.

An hour later, after the crowd had gotten riled up, Cinder jumped up on the makeshift stage and settled everything down. The sky was completely dark and the moon was right above them.

"If everyone would direct their attention to the south, that would be amazing." She pointed, and all of a sudden, the air crackled with the heat of an all out fireworks display. Cinder sat down on the edge of the stage and patted the space next to her for Kai to sit. He hopped up and stared at the sky.

"And to think I was just crushing on a mechanic last year."

"And I refused to be petty and fall in love with a prince."

"I guess everything is falling into place."

"I guess so."