Chapter 3

Thomas P.O.V

That's how it began. I heard her say those three words that seemed so far away, as if it was spoken from one end of a tunnel to another. The slumber that held me in place was a viscous liquid. Thick and sticky......trapping me like a fly in honey. I became aware and realized I was removed from this world, thick with exhaustion. I couldn't wake up.

Thomas!

She screamed it. It rattled through my head shaking my bead. I felt a trickle of fear but it was a dream it had to be. I could only go deeper into my slumber. We were safe now, we have nothing to worry about. Of course, yeah it was a dream. Teresa was fine, we were all fine. I realaxed again, and let myself fall deeper into sleep.

Other sounds had sliently snuck their way into my slumber. Thumps. Bangs. Clinks. The clang of metal on metal. Something beavy shattering. Boys shouting. They were more like echos of shouting as if distant or have been muted. Them they became screams. Unearthly cries of anguish. But still very distant. As if I was in another world wrapped in a warm blanket.

Something finally pricked at my comforted sleep. It wasn't right. I fought the deep sleep that had consumed me. I was pinning me down.

Wake up Wake up

Them something disappeared from within me. It was there one minute, then gone the next. It felt like a major organ had been ripped from my body.

It was her. She's gone.

Teresa! I screamed in my mind. Teresa! are you there?

But there was nothinh I no longer felt her. I called her name again and again. As I did I struggled to pull my self from the sleep.

Finally reality washed over me. It swept away the darkness. With gerror filling my body I opened my eyes. (Y/N) was shaking me at a rapid speed. I shot up into a sitting position on the bed. I shifted until I got under my feet and jumped up looking around.

Everything had gone crazy.

All the gladers were running around screaming and shouting. Awful sounds filled the air like animal screeching from being tortured. (Y/N) was clutching onto my arm. Her (E/C) eyes met mine. They were filled with pure terror. Frypan, shouted pointing at the window his face as pale as the the white sheets. Newt and Minho were running towards the door. Winston, hands were held to his acne covered face like he had just seen a flesh eating zombie. Others were stumbling over each other to look out different windows.ll but keeping their distance. I then noticed that I didn't know most of the twenty boys names who survived the maze. Which was an odd thought to have at this moment of absloute chaos.

Somethignat the corner of my eye made me turn to look at the wall. What I saw wiped any peace and saftey away. It made me doubt that same emotions could exist in the same world which we now stood.

Three feet from our bed. Draped by colorful curtains, a window looked out into a bright, blinding light. The glass was shattered, jagged shards leaning close against crisscrossed steel rusted bars. A man stood on the other side, gripping at the bars with bloody hands. His eyes were wide and bloodshot, filled with madness. Sores and scars covered his thin, sunburnt face. He had no hair, only diseased splotches of what looked like greenish moss. A jagged slit reached across his right cheek; I could see teeth throught the raw, festering wound. Pink saliva dripped in lines from the man's chin.

"I'm a Crank!" The horror of a man yelled. "I'm a bloody Crank!"
And then he started screaming two words over and over again. Spit flying with every shriek.

"Kill me! Kill me! Kill me...."

Then (Y/N) screamed.