64

Rebecca, Micky, and Paul were all in the audience to watch Mike graduate. But before the students were called up to receive their "diplomas" (they wouldn't get the actual certificate until after graduation), the valedictorian was called onto stage to make a speech.

Because of Mike's suspension, the valedictorian title was handed to some kid named Eugene Miller. So everyone was surprised when Mike stepped onto the stage instead.

"What are you doing?" the principal hissed. "You're not supposed to be up here."

"I don't care. I need to make a speech."

Mike shrugged off the people who tried to get him off the stage. Micky watched with wide eyes as Mike grabbed the microphone and began to speak.

"The bittersweet thing about life is that completely unexpected, unexplainable events can happen, and they can either become your best or your worst memories. Sometimes, you make a new friend. Sometimes, someone you love dearly suddenly passes away."

Micky saw Rebecca tense out of the corner of his eye, but he didn't do or say anything. He was totally mesmerized.

"Both things have happened to me. Some amazing people have entered my life and some amazing people have left it...but I know the ones who left are watching over me and I really, really hope I've made them proud."

Rebecca was weeping at this point. Mike took a deep breath.

"A little over a month ago, a small family moved in next door to me and my folks. It was just a mother and her son, but I didn't know then that one of those two people would become one of the most important people in my life.

"Despite our eventual friendship, I was a real asshole in the beginning. I apologize for the language, but," Mike chuckled, "well, it's true. My neighbor was different in a way I've never experienced before and, at first, I was afraid. I was afraid of what he was and I was afraid of damnation. But, somehow, even though I was a complete prick in the beginning, he stuck with me. He stuck with me and I never realized what a true friend I had made...until my father and sister died.

"My mother was an absolute wreck," Mike threw an apologetic smile at Rebecca, who merely sniffled, "sorry Ma, but it's true. I love her dearly, but he was the only one who could truly console me. He's the only one who made any effort, and I realized that when he was the one drying my tears outside the church. It took me so, so long to realize it, but I had finally made a friend—a true friend.

"Turns out, my friend had a secret of his own. Actually, he had many secrets, but I never truly opened my eyes until I found out that he...was abused. Despite all he and his mother had been through together, somehow she was still heartless enough to whip him until he bled. At first, I was mystified. Heck, I still am. But I realized that, after all he managed to help me through, it was finally my turn to help him.

"I don't know how, but somehow we were able to make it to today. Life's funny like that—sometimes it'll be your best friend and sometimes it'll whack you like a bitch—but we managed to survive. We have scars, some physical, some emotional, but as long as you have someone to love by your side, you'll make it. I know you will. And through my journey, I was finally able to find my love as well."

Mike looked up. His eyes met Micky's and Micky's breath hitched in his throat.

"I love you, Micky Dolenz. And I'm damn sorry for not realizing it sooner."

holy shit that was long

I winged that entire speech so hopefully I didn't bore y'all to tears