Chapter 01

Robyn Fenty

I killed him.

Oh my god. Oh my god. I killed him.

It was just now hitting me at 3:55 A.M. gun in my hands. I watched him slide onto the ground, eyes wide open.

What the fuck! I killed him!

Blood seeping out of his chest as he slid to the floor.

What do I do now?

I killed my stepfather. I'm scared. I'm scared to even move. But I know when my neighbors come looking for me, to see what that gunshot was, I have to be gone.

I closed my eyes for 5 seconds, and then fluttered them open. Overdrive mode, my brain is on overdrive mode.

I've watched so many cop shows to know how not to get caught. I stormed into the kitchen past the dead body, not even feeling sorry. No guilt. No regrets.

I pulled out all the cleaning products that this house was supplied on. The weapon. I had to get rid of the weapon. I wiped down my hands and the gun, running outside to the backyard. It was a field, we owned a huge piece of land. Ducking low and in the dark, I ran into the woods and buried it under a log.

I sprinted back into the house cleaning the entire room, I pulled my stepfather into the hall closet and locked him inside.

After that, I changed my clothes, lighting the fireplace in my room and burning my dirty ones. I packed a backpack with all of my necessities and I stole a few trinkets from my moms jewelry box that could be worth a couple hundred.

I stole his wallet too.

Slipping on my hoodie, I headed out of the house the back way.

-
I tapped my foot impatiently, I was high off of caffeine. I needed to get out of this state, and I'm going to California. I've always wanted to live in Cali. The cops would never look for me there and the weather was always nice.

I brushed my hair out of my face and crossed my arms. The security lady at the airport cleared her throat and I handed her my bag. She searched it, like she was looking for something illegal. Once she realized I was clean, she walked over and wanded me down. "Where you headed?"
"Cali."
"Mm, nice weather down there."
"Yeah, I know."
"Have a nice trip." She handed me my bag and flashed me a smile. I gave her a small one back and turned on my heel to the gate. Once I gave the lady my ticket and boarded the plane. I prayed no one sat next to me and tried to small talk.

I hate small talk.

I closed my eyes and sat back. 20 minutes and I felt someone else's presence.

"Mind if I sit here?" He asked me

I shook my head no, he smiled politely and sat next to me.

When I say he was handsome.. Oh my god.

His phone rang and he looked at it a while before answering, "Damn girl what?"
He paused, letting the other person on the line - I'm guessing a girl- speak.
"Naw, don't baby me. I don't play that shit alright? You and your nigga can have a nice fucking life."

I widened my eyes a little, seeing how nice he looked angry.

"Look, I don't give a fuck. I'm not some side piece. I'm coming home today so don't be throwing yourself at my door." He hung up. "Nasty bitch." He muttered.
I couldn't help myself, I bursted out laughing at his Bernie Mac impression. He looked at me amused, "You were listening."
"Well duh, I'm sitting right here." I grinned, trying to keep myself from laughing again.
"I'm Chris." He winked at me and held out his hand for me to shake.
".. Robyn." I shook his hand and he nodded.
"First time flying to Cali?"
"Yup, how'd you know?" I hated small talk, but not so much with him.
"Just asking." He shrugged, "Not so good with small talk."
I smiled, "Neither am I."
We sat in a comfortable silence while other people boarded the plane.
"Hey, I snore a lot and I guarantee you I'm gonna be sleep on this plane. So don't mind me alright?" Chris grinned.
"Don't worry about it. I'm good at ignoring people."

-

Christopher Brown

That hair. Those eyes. That smile. Damn.

Even when I got home I couldn't stop thinking about the girl on the plane

Even when I got home I couldn't stop thinking about the girl on the plane. My stupid ass didn't get her number, but I had the feeling this wasn't the last time I was gonna see her.

My phone started ringing and I looked at it. I rolled my eyes as Bianca's name flashed across the screen.

Bianca was this girl I was fucking around with, you know. Harmless fun. Then I started catching feelings.

Asked her out on a date, paid good money for her to eat good at Red Lobster. Then this bitch gonna say.

"Oh I'll be right back, my boyfriend is calling."

I left her without a ride home. Best part? It started raining.

She says she wasn't using me, she thought we were friends... But she let me fuck the first night. So she uses the excuse that her boyfriend on some freak shit and he wants me and him to run a train on her.

I ain't don't that shit.

Point. Blank. Period.

I pressed the ignore button and laid down on my bed. I was exhausted, jet lag.
I closed my eyes and thought of Robyn, the girl on the airplane. And oddly, that eased me off to sleep.

-

Robyn Fenty

I got a room in a motel, and started job hunting. I was tired as hell, but if I was gonna make it in a expensive state like Cali, I was gonna need some money.
I mean, I could have run to Michigan, or Minnesota. But I had to run across the country, it made sense. The killer would run somewhere close by.. out of sight, but in plain sight.

I walked into this plain Diner called Lucy's , it was this fun diner where the waitresses rode on skates and they had old jukeboxes and everyone danced. While enjoying their food. The diner you saw in movies.

I grinned when I saw the Now Hiring sign, if I was gonna work somewhere. I wanted it to be here.