15. Promise Me

a/n: ow :) seriously ow :)

For two days, we've been travelling about New Mexico, going swimming and visiting parks. I've been texting Nicky about anything I can think of, and he enthusiastically texts me back every time. Dennis is finally getting over his little pout, too. I think he realizes that we're leaving in a day and a half, and there's no point in being so upset about it.

I don't think I'm going to see Nicky very often, if at all.

That's so shitty, too. I'm missing him already and we only hung out for an hour and a half.

Trinlee: sorry, my phone's been off. I'm in paris.

Jem: Wow cool thanks for telling me. Anyway, I have three siblings I just found out exist. But whatevs.

Jem: *four

Trinlee: really!?? That's super awesome J. Tell me about it! Tell me about everything. I'm at a hotel right now and I have two hours doing nothing. I'm the only one who speaks English in the hot tub.

Jem: later.

Trinlee: Ok. It's 9:42pm here so call me soon!

Jem: it's 1:42 here so I'll try.

Trinlee 'had her phone off'. Gimme a break. I know Trinlee is glued to her phone. I really needed her two days ago. That's unfair. I deserve to be pissed.

"Did you guys want to go to a restaurant or just get some fast food?" Mom asks. She's braiding Anna's hair while Anna squirms and changes the TV channels.

"I'm good with fast food," I sigh. Dennis and Corey nod. Rob plays 'got your nose' with Kelley and Rowe watches in awe.

Nicky: Hey! Come hang out with us again!

I stare at my phone and frown. I doubt Mom wants me to go hang out with William's kids again, but I ask anyway. "Mom? Um... Nicolas wants to know if we can hang out with them again. Nicky, An-um, Stacy-and Cal."

She pauses mid-braid and sighs. "Sure, honey. Will they pick you up?"

Jem: Yeah. Can you pick us up?

Nicky: oh all of u? sure.

Jem: Sorry! I didn't know if you meant just me. We're at comfort Inn

Nicky: no problem lol

"Yeah, he can pick us all up."

"I don't really want to go," Dennis says softly. Corey nods in agreement. "I mean, they're cool, it's just... it's all starting to really suck. I just want to go home," he explains. The room is silent for a while.

Mom speaks up, "I do think you should get to know your siblings, honey."

"Why? We won't ever see them," Dennis says.

"You don't have to go," I comment.

2:14 p.m.

I'm the only one dressed and waiting outside as Nicky pulls up in a really nice car. I don't know what kind of car it is, but it's really awesome. I don't see Anna or Cal with him, but there are two guys in the backseat. When I sit down, one of them comments, "You're really short."

"Be nice," Nicky snaps. "Jema, these are my lame-ass friends, DeVante and Lucas. They're dating and I'm totally jealous. DeVante, Lucas, this is Jema and we're practically twins."