•Ten•

"Why is it that every time I try to put that girl in something cute, she disappears?!" Mira puffed out her cheeks in annoyance. After her avoidance of the so-called fashion show, Mira had attempted to dress Ryuchi in cute doll-like outfits multiple times, only to have the child vanish each time. Mira had a strong suspicion that certain guild members were aiding in her escapes, but she had no proof. While today was actually Laxus' day to watch Ryuchi, he hadn't arrived yet, so she was sitting in a booth eating breakfast while Wendy and Charla tried to teach the little girl some table manners.

"No, no." Wendy said for the third time, repositioning the knife in Ryuchi's hand. "It's just an egg. You don't need to stab it. Just stick your fork in the center and slide the knife past."

"I don't think eating is supposed to be this complicated..." Ryuchi mumbled, sliding the knife so gently that all it did was make the egg slip off the fork. "Grr..." She growled in annoyance, showing just a hint of tiny fang.

"What did you normally eat?" Charla asked, wiping some of the yolk off the table.

Ryuchi shrugged, reattempting to corner the egg in the center of the plate. "It was various vegetables, bread, and meat all mixed into a single concoction. They would give it to us directly in this spout thing to save on dishes."

Wendy and Charla looked revolted. "That doesn't sound like it'd taste very good." Wendy said finally.

"Food is meant to supply energy, not taste good." Ryuchi replied. Appearing to finally give up, Ryuchi resituated the utensils in her hand and stabbed downward, impaling her quarry and tossing it into her mouth just as quickly as she had attacked. Her two companions stared at her dumbfounded as she licked some yolk off her cheek. "Much simpler." She said calmly.

*********

Mira was counting wine bottles, making sure Cana hadn't stolen any, when she heard little feet approach the bar. "Mira Jane Strauss." The barmaid turned see Ryuchi peeking over the bar at her, with a strange mixture of fear and sadness on her face.

"What is it, dear?" Mira asked in concern.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to. I was assassinating my egg and the plate became collateral damage." The little girl put her plate on the counter, shame-faced. It had been split almost exactly in half, with slight cracking in the center where the combined fork and knife stab had gone through.

Though surprised at the girl's strength, Mira didn't let it show on her face. "It's fine, it's fine. You weren't the first to break a plate here and I doubt you'll be the last." She put the remains under the counter and Ryuchi seemed to relax slightly. "Did you need something else?" Mira asked, noting the expectant air around the child.

"When are Pantherlily and Gajeel Redfox coming back?"

Remembering what Ryuchi had told Natsu, who had then passed it along to Mira through Lucy, Mira smiled her sweetest gentlest smile. "They should be back late tonight, early tomorrow morning at the earliest, depending how their mission goes." At Ryuchi's disappointed face, Mira attempted to pat her on the head, only to stop when Ryuchi started to lean away. "Didn't they tell you exactly when they'd be back when they left?" The barmaid asked into the awkward silence.

"Yes." Ryuchi rested her chin on the counter. "I just thought they might be done sooner."

"I'm sure there's something you can do that'll take your mind off of waiting." Mira said kindly. Ryuchi just sighed. "Oh, Freed!" Mira called, spotting the green-haired Mage walking in with an armful of books.

"Yes?"

"Do you know where Laxus is? It's his turn to watch the little dragon here."

Freed looked mildly surprised. "You mean, he's not here yet? How odd. And the one time I failed to shadow him, he vanishes!"