Courage

Everything was just as it was when I left...
The century-old carpet with a hideous design, the smell of bread baking in the morning, the sound of children laughing as they try to forget that they are parent-less. That was one thing I hated about the orphanage. You would go the whole day forgetting, but when the sun set and the house finally grew quiet, all the thoughts and questions flooded your head. It was a vicious cycle that repeated itself every day.
I saw Madam Ackerley's wrinkled and happy face as she tried to cheer us up, and it usually worked. She would give me a hug and place a hard candy in my hand everytime I cried. It worked when I was younger, because at that time there wasn't much that candy couldn't fix. But as I grew older, it stopped working and I found days there miserable...
I woke up and found myself back in Pan's apartment, more importantly, in the Underworld. I turned beside me, expecting to find Pan, but he was gone.
I stared at the ceiling. Three years ago I was so intent on finding a family, a home. Where had that dream gone?
I heard the door open and sat up.
"Where were you?" I asked Pan.
"I was...helping Rumple."
"Pan please stay away from him. I don't have a good feeling about this. What if he does something to harm you?"
"I think you're underestimating me." He said sitting on the edge of the bed.
"I think you're underestimating him." I replied.
"He said he could get me a new heart...I could go with you..."
"And who's heart is he taking?"
"Does it matter?"
"Yes Pan! It matters! You're talking about killing someone here. And I know this isn't you, this is the darkness talking."
He shook is head,
"The darkness and me aren't separate things."
"Stop, they are. All this dark magic and power goes to your head sometimes. You need to listen to me, there's always a lighter way to do things."
"I'm doing what I can to be with you."
"So am I, and I have a way. Please don't do anything."
That wasn't entirely true. I did have a plan, just not a portal to execute it.
He sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. He looked at me and said,
"I love you. I'm sorry I hadn't ever told you in person, and that it took death to finally tell you."
"It's okay, I always knew. I love you too."
He kissed my lips and put his arms around me.
He whispered again,
"I love you..."