Chapter 2: The Big Bad Wolf

pic of Fallon wolf form:

Time seemed to slow down. The wolf crouched down, rolling it's shoulders in a circular motion - a sure sign that it would give chase if I chose to run. It's withers stood on end as it let out a deep menacing growl. I could practically hear it mocking me, "Run Little Red Riding Hood, or the big bad wolf will get you." I wasn't stupid. I knew that if I ran, it would chase, and there's no way I can out run a wolf, let alone a werewolf.

I could hear the crunching of the fallen leaves as it took a big step forward. Holy crap! That was one big werewolf. Werewolves were naturally bigger than normal wolves, but this werewolf, he was big enough to be the alpha. He wasn't though. I had met the alpha of this territory through Andrew when I ran into them on the trails by the lake. So I knew this wasn't Doc. But if he wasn't Doc, how was he so big? Or is he an alpha? In which he would be from a different territory. Meaning, he was obviously even more dangerous than the wolves here.

Werewolves, especially alphas, from another territory, could never be trusted. The same goes for the vampires. The werewolves and vampires have actually warned us humans about the dangers of running into weres and vamps from out of town.

So as I stood here, watching this wolf creep closer to me, I couldn't help but hate this wolf more than the others. I took a slow step back, creating more space from us as he tried to close it. His piercing amber eyes held me in place.

He was only a few feet from me now. Okay, Nadia, I thought to myself. It's now or never. You have to run.

The wolf seemed to know my intentions, because he let out a deep and intimidating growl, lowering his body even more closer to the ground. He bared his teeth. His canines gleamed in the moon light.

Then his eyes snapped to the left. His ears perked up. He rose his nose to the air in sniffed. He looked back at me and howled. Then sprang into the woods, leaving me there by myself.

I let out a breath I hadn't known I was holding. I watched as the dark brown, over-sized wolf leaped over fallen logs, disappearing in the trees. He was gone. But, what had caused him to run off?

I didn't stay to think more about it. I ran home.

As I laid in bed, I kept thinking something was waiting outside my window. I had gotten out of bed a couple of times, peering out my window to see if there was anything lurking out there. Nothing. Even though I didn't see anything, I couldn't shake the feeling of being watched.

I flopped my arms to my side and growled in frustration. Turning to my side, I looked toward the clock sitting on my dresser. Only 11:30?! I still had hours before I had to get up for school. A dreadful place, but I was there everyday.... Well, almost every day.

I turned to face the wall. "Go to sleep, Nadia," I told myself. I laid there, until my eyes became heavy and slowly fluttered shut.

Fallon's pov:

I hid in the shadows as I watched her run, to what I could only assume, home. Her brown hair whipped behind her as the wind brought her scent to me. I almost had her, but then my nose had been insulted by one of those leeches nearby. I hadn't wanted to leave her defenseless against an unmated bloodsucker, but without my pack, I was not much of a threat to a vampire.

Vampires were much stonger than us. We were only a bit bigger than normal wolves, so we needed our pack to be strong. Leeches were abnormally strong - as were we, only not as much - and tended to crush us with one good blow.

I followed her, continuously taking in her scent - black raspberry and vanilla. I breathed her in numerous times. Such an exotic scent. When she rushed inside her home, closing the door quickly behind her, I stayed in the woods' darkness. Then I saw her appear in one of the rooms. I watched as she went around her room - placing her scarf here, hanging her purse there. Finally she was ready for bed.

I watched as she tossed and turned and then went to the window. She drew back the peach colored curtains and peered out her window. She couldn't see me. I looked her over. Baggy gray sweat pants, form-fitting purple tank top, messy hair - she looked good. She stood there, searching, and, unsatisfied, went back to bed.

I continued to watch her for hours. Her tossing and turning all night caused her to get her legs tangled up in the sheets. My head snapped up at the sound of infernal beeping. She slapped her hand against a clock and slowly got up.

She came to the window, much like during the night, and with the help of the sun's glow, saw my wolf figure. She held my gaze. A look of recognition crossed her countenance and she stumbled back. She flung the curtains closed and stepped away from the window.

I turned back to the woods and bounded over the fallen logs. Only one thought crossed my mind as I headed to my destination. I had to have her.