Chapter 7: Home Is Where The Pack Rests

Pic of Fallon.

Fallon's POV:

Seeing the leech sitting at Nadia's table brought back cruel memories. My sister's limp, still form, half changed in human form and half in her pure white wolf form. My pack's disloyalty to it's leader, me. Then there was Codi, the bitch that set it all up. Codi, though female, was the best wolf in my pack. She was skillful and tactful, and used both to get under my pelt. I should of seen the signs that Codi was getting greedy for power, but in my blindness of finding the one thing that was missing, I hadn't. I lost everything because of her. I should of taken Audri out hunting myself, especially with it being her first time. If I had known it would also be her last, I would've canceled the pack meeting to a different date. Codi led her out of our territory. Knowingly! The vampires attacked and Codi ran off, leaving Audri alone to face them. She didn't stand a chance. Codi convinced the pack it was my fault. That I told them to go into leech territory and hunt. Since I didn't take Audri hunting myself, like any other wolf would of done, they were quick to believe her. I watched them bury Audri from afar, unwelcome and unwanted from the pack. When the funeral was over and the last wolf had left, I sat by her side. Hours passed by in a blur, until it was finally well into night. I left that night, leaving everything behind.

Days passed and I overheard a small group of wolves from another pack mention Audri. Apparently the vampire that murdered my sister had been boosting about it, telling everyone he could that he was the one to take down a member of the alpha family in the Blackstone Pack. I learned that his name was Colton and sought him out. Months went by and I finally found him. A bleach blond vampire that liked to syle his hair in spikes with red on the tips of them. His boyish features reflected his frozen age. I hated him. I had a great urge to lunge an attack, but I was alone. It takes at least three wolves to take out a vampire - I was no match for this one vampire. I cursed the vampire, and his undeniable strength. In the process, I cursed myself, too. Along with the pack that was no longer mine and the vampires that were with this Colton that day.

I finally made it back to the motel I was staying at. A dingy place, full of stained carpets, unmade and unwashed beds, bathrooms that you'd be scared to wash up in, and terrible lighting. For a moment, a smirk replaced my frown from the thought of Audri seeing this place. I could picture her face at the sight of the room I slept in. She'd be afraid to touch anything, afraid to catch some form of disease. She'd make me got to the local market and buy a great number of things: air mattress, blankets, air freshener, gloves, gas mask, tongs, five boxes of trash bags, disinfectant. The list would go on and on.

I locked the door and sat on the corner of the bed. Turning on the out-dated television, the football game came on the screen. The picture was fuzzy and the sound was drowning in static. It hardly bothered me, I wasn't really into the game - never been one for football these days. Looking out to the flickering neon motel sign, my stomach gave a grumble. I didn't know how hungry I was until then. Grabbing up change I had laying on the dresser beside me, I headed out to the vending machines that were by the ice bin. After choosing a coke and multiples of unhealthy snacks, I went back to my small room. I only had to open it a crack to smell an unwelcome scent coming from the room. Someone had gone inside, I was sure. I stepped into the room, placing my food on the dresser, and breathed in the other wolf's scent.

"You can come out now, Quince!" I growled.

The older wolf stepped out of the bathroom, arms folded over his chest. A long scar ran down his arm, straight through his Blackstone mark. "Fallon."