Corruption

Sapphire laughed.
"What's so funny?" Ruby asked.
"Nothing, it's just, you said that in the diner when we got in our first argument," Sapphire smiled.
Sapphire suddenly noticed Ruby's gem.
"Ruby! Your gem! It's cracked!" Sapphire worried. Ruby looked down at her hand.
"Yeah. It doesn't matter, though." Ruby said.
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN, 'IT DOESN'T MATTER'!?" Sapphire screamed.
"I mean, I'd rather have a cracked gem than seeing you be in my position," Ruby said.
"Ruby," Sapphire started to say.
"Shh." Ruby covered Sapphire's mouth with an index finger.
"It's okay." Ruby calmed. Sapphire sighed.
"We need to go back to the Temple," Sapphire said.
Ruby sighed, "Okay, let's go."

As Ruby and Sapphire were walking down the beach, Ruby stopped. She looked nervous. Her face and palms were sweaty.
"Ruby?" Sapphire asked. Ruby's form started changing. She fell onto her knees with her back arcing. Sapphire backed away in fear. Ruby started being corrupted but immediately turned back into her original form. Ruby was exhausted as she fell into the sand. She breathed heavily until she finally calmed down with her eyes closed.
"Ruby?!" Sapphire yelled running up to her.
"Are you ok?!" Sapphire asked. Ruby raised her arm with her eyes still closed. She put a thumbs up and plopped it back on the sand.

Ruby laid there for about 10 minutes now which worried Sapphire.
"Hey, Ruby?" Sapphire asked.
"Yeah?" Ruby asked, starting to wake up after a small nap.
"How's your gem?" Sapphire asked, starting to grab Ruby's hand. Ruby immediately snatched her hand away from Sapphire.
"None of your business." Ruby growled. This was unlike Ruby. Sapphire knew that. She tried again.
"Ruby, are you feeling alright?" Sapphire asked, placing her hand gently on Ruby's. Ruby got up. The sand that she was laying on was a little red. Instead of the beach giving Ruby a sunburn, Ruby gave the beach one.
"I'm fine." Ruby snapped. Sapphire was afraid. This wasn't the Ruby she knew and loved. But she intended to keep trying.

Ruby started walking down to the beach house. When she opened the door, Steven, Amethyst, and Pearl were playing Not That Sorry. They all looked up at Ruby.
"Is... Everything alright?" Pearl asked.
"I'm fine." Ruby said, going to her room. Sapphire walked in and sighed.
"Sapphire? What's going on?" Steven asked. Sapphire sighed and went to her room without saying anything.

Sapphire sat and meditated in the middle of her room and hummed as the memories when she and Ruby first met. A single tear drizzled down Sapphire's face from one eye.

~In Ruby's room~

Ruby started pacing back and fourth. She looked down at her left hand. It cracked slightly more. Her form tried to change but she resisted. Ruby sighed and laid on her bed. (If in Steven Universe they even have beds)

Sapphire started to walk out of her room when she saw Pearl up to Steven's face with wide eyes (XD sorry, just had to).
"What're you doing?" Sapphire whispered to Pearl. That startled Pearl and she fell off the bed. She quickly made sure Steven was still asleep as she walked up to Sapphire.
"Urr... Nothing?" Pearl said awkwardly with a weird/funny embarrassed face.
Sapphire didn't have the time for this so she just walked into Ruby's room. Ruby was fast asleep. Sapphire floated up onto the red.. Burning at this point, bed. She slowly inched her hand closer to Ruby's gem to check on it. Sapphire gasped as she covered her mouth to prevent waking Ruby. It was badly damaged. Ruby must've fought extremely hard to keep her mind straight or she would've become corrupt. Sapphire knew this must've made her exhausted. Ruby's eyes started shutting tighter. Sapphire placed her hand on Ruby's to calm her down. Ruby's temperature started calming down after that. Sapphire started humming the song they did when they first met and fell asleep.

In the middle of the night, Ruby was shaking. She was talking in her sleep.
"Sapph-Sapph... N-no... No more. S-stop." She mumbled.
"No!" She yelled, jumping up from her nightmare. She curled up in a ball, not noticing Sapphire in her room. Sapphire woke from Ruby's loud outburst. She looked over at Ruby who was curled up in a ball and crying. "Ruby?" Ruby jumped. She didn't know Sapphire was in her room. She started having a panic attack then soon calmed herself. Ruby glanced down at her hand slightly, hoping Sapphire didn't see her gem. It was cracked even more than before. Sapphire placed her hand on Ruby's trembling shoulder.
"Oh... It's just you." Ruby said, feeling relieved. Sapphire then remembered that Ruby forgot almost everything that happened a few thousand years ago. Her memory was scattered like a broken jigsaw puzzle. Ruby's face started tensing up. Ruby once again started becoming corrupt. She tried to fight it once more but finally gave in. Immediately, she remembered her moment with Sapphire (video above). Ruby looked at Sapphire one last time before she became corrupt and said, "I'm sorry Sapphire, I couldn't be strong. I-" Ruby started. Sapphire hushed her. Ruby finally finished her sentence, "...... I love you."