Chapter 5

Levi entered the library at around 3:30 on Wednesday. He was greeted by Marco as usual, and chose a book in the Nonfiction section. Not much change here. What was different, however was the lack of seeing Eren. Usually he saw him at least twice a day, and talked to him once. Now it seemed like he was avoiding him. 'At least the brat's out of my way.' He thought, but was slightly put out when 7 p.m. arrived and still no Eren.

When he went up to Marco to turn in books and check some out, he was surprised to see Eren in the background, surrounded by five children. He was holding a crying one, another clutching his leg, and the other three were fighting in the background. "Marco!" He groaned, attempting to calm the two kids in tears. Marco rushed over, instantly separating two of the fighting ones. The other two began to grapple, screaming at the top of their lungs. Levi shifted and put his books down on the table, carefully edging over to the other two. 

"Oi. Stop fighting." The two simply looked at him, their eyes widening with terror. The two fell apart before scampering away, also crying. 

"Gut gemacht, Levi!"* Eren said angrily. A parent runs in, quickly helping calm down the two kids under the table.

"Fank you, Ms. Springer." Eren said breathlessly. "Not a problem. I know it can be difficult." He smiled at her before she picked up Connie and left. A minute passes. "Meine Entschuldigungen, I'm not the best when it comes to children."* Eren had his back to Levi, and froze for a second at the German.

All he did was glance behind him with a hardened expression before bringing another child to her parent. Marco watched this exchange with confusion. "What's up with you and Eren? I was starting to think you two were going to be friends." "He is unhappy with the fact that I smoke." Levi said stiffly. Marco nodded with understanding.

Levi and Marco chatted for a few minutes until all of the children had been taken home. "Play on Wednes... No good idea..." Eren said with a lopsided smile. Marco nodded, looking tired. Eren raised his hands above his head in a luxurious stretch, exposing his belly button. He had a slightly toned stomach, a bit of a six-pack showing. Levi glanced at it and quickly looked away, before glancing once more.

Eren's eyes were closed, so he didn't notice, but Marco surely did. "I go get stuff." Eren yawned, heading for the back room. Marco waited until he was gone to frantically whisper, "You totally checked him out?!" Levi raised an eyebrow. "My sexuality does not allow me to resist." Marco laughed. 

"LIAR! You looked at him because you like him!" Levi shrugged, before honestly saying "I don't know if I think of him that way. It's also difficult to communicate with him so..." Eren appeared in the door frame, scribbling something on his sketchbook before tripping and falling face first. Levi gave Marco a 'you-expect-me-to-admire-that' look.

Marco made a pouty face before walking over to help him up. Eren was too focused to be embarrassed. He notably had a cut under his left eye, though. Once standing up, he reopened his sketchpad and drew frantically. "See tomorrow." He mumbled, eyes glued to the paper as he left.

"What was that about?" Marco wondered aloud. Levi, too, was confused. "Alright... I have a few books to return and check out before I leave." Marco nodded and did so, bidding him goodbye as he walked through the doors.

<><>Timeskip June 19, Thursday<><>

Levi entered the library at around 9 a.m. He had gone to bed early, thus woken up early. Eren was behind the front desk, leaning on an elbow. He looked half-asleep. 

"Sie sollten den Tag aus. Ihr erschöpft. Sie haben fast keinen Schlaf letzte Nacht."* Mikasa was on the other side of the desk, trying to convince him of something.