Chapter 9

Levi pushed open the glass doors and looked around. He still had the remnants of yesterday's headache, but decided to come anyways. It was nine a.m., and he was carrying the books he had checked out on Wednesday. He walked over to the front desk, where Marco was sitting. Putting his paperbacks on the tabletop, he looked up at him. "Good morning, Marco." He said. "Morning! You're turning these back in?" He asked.

"Yes. And they were interesting." Levi said. He turned to go to the Nonfiction section. Sitting on the floor was Eren with two boys of about twelve. "Ca-castle?" He said. One of them nodded, and the other pointing to something else in the book. He looked stumped. "Dragon." One encouraged him. "Like lizard?" He asked. "Yeah. This?" "Princess."

Levi leaned against a bookshelf and watched. Nearly 15 minutes went by. One of the boys looked up. "Eren, him?" He looked up. "Princess." He said promptly, joking with the others. Levi was taken aback for a minute. Oh, they were joking. They better be.

"Hello! You are L-" "Levi Ackerman!" Eren interrupted with a smile. He stood up and walked over to him. "Hellos! Zach, Cody." He gestured to them. "Good morning." Levi said politely. "Eren? The playgroup starts in ten minutes." One of the boys spoke up. "Okay! Seeing jou later!" Eren bounced away to the Children's Corner, the boys chasing after him.

'They must be volunteering.' Levi thought to himself, before looking through the bookshelves for something to read.

<><>Timeskip 3 Hours<><>

His stomach growled, making him aware of his hunger. He checked his watch and concluded he should get lunch.

Levi stood up and put the books away, and headed to the door before stopping. 'Maybe I'll ask Eren to join me.' He thought, turning around to go over to the Children's Corner. He looked into the window and saw it was dark. He furrowed his brows. 'Hm. I must have not noticed that he left. Oh, well.' He left and went down to the little cafe down the street.

Pushing open the door so the bell jingled, he glanced around before going up to the counter. Ordering his usual salad and tea for lunch, Levi turned to find a table to sit at. It was extremely busy, with no empty tables. He walked over to the wall to wait for his meal. "Levi Ackerman." Called the cashier. He went up to get his food and turned to see bright turquoise eyes looking at him from the other side of the room. They were easy to pick out of a crowd.

Eren waved at him and pointed to himself with a questioning look. Levi nodded before getting his food and walking over. "Hellos, Levi Ackerman!" Eren said happily. "Hello. Good afternoon." Was his response as he sat down. Eren frowned. "Jou always say." Levi glanced up at him before beginning to eat. Eren, who quickly finished his lunch, looked out the window. "Jour season?" He asked, turning to the raven.

Levi swallowed before looking up. "My favorite season? Perhaps autumn. Fall." He added at Eren's confused expression." "Ah. Vinter me." He said, nodding. "Levi?" Eren asked, the name rolling off of his tongue. "Yes?" "Vhat France like?" Levi had finished his food. Sipping his tea, he leaned back into the booth seat.

"It certainly is well-known for it's beauty. Attractive flowers and plants aren't unusual. The landmarks are breathtaking. For example, the Eiffel Tower. The ocean is always clear, year-round, and everything on the ocean floor is exposed. The weather is usually appealing, whether one is outside or in. At night, the stars shine so brightly... The cities lit up against the sky... France is one of the most astounding places I've been to. I am lucky to have grown up there..."

He had a far-away look in his eyes. Eren watched him as he described his home country. He could have sworn Levi nearly smiled as he spoke about the night sky. A few moments passed. Levi felt a hand lightly touch his. Focusing, he saw Eren was standing with a disappointed look in his eyes.