born to fall part 4

• Dedicated to poppa rick

Born To Fall- part 4

            As I landed on the cement floor of my, well home I guess you could call it, I let out a sigh of relief. I walked over to my refrigerator and opened it up. Inside wasn’t much, a few cartons of Eggnog, some orange juice and a carton of eggs. I took the eggnog and placed it on my make shift table. It creaked under the weight of the eggnog carton. Wow I need to get another table, I thought as I fumbled a cup off my brown shelf. It landed on the floor; I picked up the cup and poured a nice big glass of eggnog and gulped it down. I did this again, and threw the carton into the recycling bin. I made my way to my gray couch and turned on my T.V at last, I had some time to myself. I changed the T.V to my favorite show. Hockey, the Boston Bruins and the Toronto Maple Leafs were playing.  It was a close game. Toronto was losing by one goal. Boston had a penalty and Toronto had pulled their goalie. There was 45 seconds left in the third period. Toronto almost scored on a breakaway but almost doesn’t count! Boston won the game and I was happy. But that happiness was short lived. There wasn’t anything else on T.V that I would like.

             Slowly I walked over to a door on the wall and pulled on it. My bed fell out and, as I always do, I stepped out of the way just as it was about to hit my head. On my bed was an orange blanket with a blue surfer on it.  I fell onto my bed and picked up my favorite novel. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I read until two in the morning and then tried to fall asleep. But there was just too much going on. Last week alone, there were seven unexplained murders. When I looked at the bodies, I could tell the demons had done it.  They had cuts everywhere. Their faces, there arms and legs, and as always the chest was ripped open and the only thing missing was the heart. None of the victims were that old either; one was only 16, poor kid. The gangs of demons were getting more aggressive and their numbers were getting bigger by the day. It was slow, but they grew steadily. And if my math was right I had about a month until they took over the city.  With about a year until they took over the neighboring city’s. I was the only one left of my kind in this city, and I didn’t know where to find the others.

            There used to be 15 of us living in this little place.  But over the years our numbers slowly decreased. Not many of us survived the first year of being here. I found 3 of them in a dark ally one night. That night (after a little convincing) Mark, Carmon, and Aaron joined our cause. Including my girlfriend and my friend Rick, which made 6 of us.  Mark, who seemed to be the leader of their little group, informed me that they had been together for about 6 months, just living on the street. He also told me that they had seen two others wandering the street, and when they asked them if they wanted to join them, they just opened up their wings and flew away.  He said that they haven’t seen hind or tail of them since.  We decided to send out daily patrols, and not even 2 months later, we found them. They were in bad shape. You could see it in their faces.  They had bags under their eyes and were skinny. And I mean see their ribs skinny.

            One was a man, named Lucas. He couldn’t have been over 45 years old, but he walked with a limp and had hair white as snow, his hands were worn out and it looked like he had skin was as thin as paper. He was always shaking, some sort of illness I think. He told me that they had been living off the streets for 4 years with Anne, his wife.  Anne looked just as old, but she told me it was the magic’s she worked, that they took years off of her life. She had long straight hair, the same color as Lucas’s.  If she hadn’t been so wrinkled she would have been beautiful. She had met Lucas at a pool club and fell head over heels for him. They had been together ever since, but then Lucas lost his house and they were forced onto the streets. With the addition of Lucan and Anne, that made eight. Not too bad I thought.