s i x t e e n

I drove right by the park, surely I wouldn't need to be there right now. Instead, I turned right onto the highway.

I drove along the highway wondering where in the hell I would apply. Making a right on an exit, I sighed as it brought me to city lights and people rushing about for either Christmas shopping, or just shopping. Every major department store and buildings were all here.

The City Hall sat in the middle of the square, with everything else lying around it. I pulled into an empty space in a random lot, and stared around me at all of the stores I could see.

I saw a retro clothing store, "Sunset". I shook my head, no thanks. As I could see in the windows, it was frilly dresses and suits. Not for me.

I looked at the shop next it, "Foam" just a regular coffee shop, it was easy and a warm place to work, I shrugged, it was an option.

The one next to it caught my eye the most of the three. The name of the store was bright and colorful, "CD Haven"

I loved music and that place was so obviously filled with it, it could be a job I would like. I nodded to myself and turned off my car, placing my keys in my pocket, and getting out.

The cold wind hit me like bricks, I shivered and jogged across the street towards the buildings. I entered the Coffee shop first, if I could even get a job for Emma in this one, everything would be perfect. I stopped at the counter, the place was fairly full, everyone sitting down enjoying their coffees or teas, even muffins and biscuits were sold here. I inhaled the scent of the coffee, and instantly wanted a fill.

I tried to ignore the cravings, and asked to speak with the manager. The pretty employee gave me a double take as I came to the counter, she stuttered as she spoke to me, telling me just a moment, then she flitted through the back door.

A man came out of the room, he seemed to be in his early thirties, maybe mid. I smiled at him as he came towards me, "Is there a problem?" He asked, I shook my head, "No, no, of course not. I was just in a riff, and was wondering if you needed any new employees?"

He cocked his head, and looked me up and down, I bit my lip, my self esteem flowing through me suddenly, then he looked back towards my eyes, and nodded, "Honestly kid, we are. Do you have any experience?"

I shook my head, "It's actually for my sister, Emma. We're in a problem, as I've mentioned, and she was unable to get here herself." I explained.

The man nodded to himself, "I'd be glad to take both of you, we're actually quite low, and the holidays are quickly arriving, and any extra help counts."

He smiled, and I nodded, "That'd be great, sir. Let me introduce myself, my name is Jake, Jake Owens." He reached out and took my hand, "Just call me Michael, Mr. Owens." He winked and gave me a card to write my cell on.

"I'll give you a call in a time and date for an interview for the both of you, see you then!" He waved and headed into the back room once again. I smiled to myself, that was easier than expected. Although the CD shop would be preferable, this worked just as well.

Plus, the smell was great in here. As I made to exit, I couldn't help myself, I walked back up to the counter with the pretty cashier, and ordered something simple, just a regular expresso. She eyed me without shame as she handed me my change, and stepped back to make the expresso.

I pocketed the loose change and stared around the shop, cute little quoted pictures lay around the shop, it was overly a nice size, and easy place to work and enjoy. I had a feeling this would be great, I couldn't wait to tell Emma.