t w e n t y f o u r

I finished my shift with a heavy heart. If anyone found out about Dean and I, we were both goners. We'd be teased and picked on. I could honestly care less about myself, but Dean had had enough of that, I wasn't going to let her do this to us.

We flew right through the weekend, and back into the school days with careful eyes, with worried expressions and less reckless acts. Dean tried to focus on Football - oh, did I mention he made the team? Found out this morning - while I tried to focus on the school work and exams.

Dean flew right through his exams, like I knew he would, and then with one final one left for myself, I couldn't take it anymore. I couldn't stand the worrying and studying when someone out there had my life in their hands.

I went to the music room last block on the following Thursday, when I should have been studying for my exam the next day. I knew she'd come, and I'd be ready when she did.

I strummed the gutiar quietly and let my hair fall over my face. Dean and I hadn't expressed anything for each other since this happened. Sure, kisses and loving touches here and there, but I feared that we were drifting. I was so scared that Dean would break things off because of what Chloe did to us.

I missed our heated sessions, our sweaty encounters bright and early in the morning. He spent most of his free time with Charlie, and I got so lonely, I started showing up for back-up shifts at the Foam.

Emma knew there was something off about me, but there was no way I could tell her. Getting anyone else involved might lessen our chances of changing Chloe's mind about keeping this a secret.

I remembered Emily's stare the previous day when I had taken a night shift, her and I were the only ones there, and the store was so dead.

Emily had been anything but mean to me, like she's always been. In fact, I would have sworn she smiled at me once, but I was too down to smile back.

I served costumers with the best smile I could muster, but usually I felt so broken that Michael had to let me take an extra break to pull myself together.

I was terrified and hurt, I was so scared I was going to lose the one thing that has solved my life of its troubles, the one person that brightened my day the minute he smiled at me.

But nothing could compare to this, nothing could compare to what I saw that night upon returning back to the cottage. I had found Dean sobbing hysterically into the pillows. I rushed over and held him in my arms without question, for we both knew what had us down.

Dean was scared of losing me, and I was scared of losing him, but nothing could make us say it, because we both knew it was possible.

I was falling deep back into the state I tried so hard to crawl out of.

The door creaked open, snapping me out of my memories, I didn't twitch or move, I stayed where I was, my fingers slowly crawling across the strings, until they stopped.

Heels clicked across the floor, then I heard the door shut, but I was a statue.

"Hello Jake." I lifted my head up in time to see her strolling towards me, and I placed the guitar down into its case, and stood up to tower over her.

"You were waiting for me, wern't you?" She continued, I didn't respond, letting her know the truth would only praise her more.

"That's cute, Jake. Just like you." I snapped my teeth together to keep from screaming.

"What do you want?" I asked, and she smiled taking another step towards me, my eyes flashed down to her feet, then back to her smiling face, "Now, now, Jake. I'll ask the questions, and you'll answer them. I have what you want, remember?"