Chapter 20-The Final Goodbye

Nevermore was walking down the hall muttering to himself of what he could do as Alari was gone. But mostly to distract himself from the very uneasy feeling that seemed to warn him that trouble was close.

As he walked back to the front room near the stair case, he noticed that the lights were off. "So my senses weren't wrong... " he growled. His eyes glowed slightly as his fangs grew in.

A very devilish laughter erupted from the darkness and soon a figure that Nevermore wished he never would have to see again, stepped into the faint light. "So, how's life here? Good? Bad? Dangerous? " Lucifer laughed more and soon the demon sword was visible beside him.

Nevermore took a step back in fear, he thought that Sebastian had gotten rid of it two hundred years prior. The fear in him just made Lucifer laugh harder then before. "You must be confused. Well, I managed to dig it up. Now, if you would kindly let me cut you down. " the devil lashed out with the sword.

Nevermore jumped back but felt his blood appear across his cheek. Damn... He thought. He got out some knives and threw them at the Devil, one landing in his right shoulder.

Lucifer grunted and ripped it out, lashing out at Nevermore again. He managed to dodge the attack, a strand of his hair cut as the sword barely missed his neck. "Looks like you aren't as quick as you think. " Nevermore smirked as he dodges another attack. Diving behind the sofa to catch his breath.

Lucifer growled in rage and ran over, kicking the sofa just to be caught with a kick of Nevermores own. It struck his stomach and he flew back, hitting the wall, cracking it slightly. "Hehe... Good job. But can you keep it up for long? " Lucifer mocked the younger demon. Nevermore just curled his lip slightly in anger before running past him. As he rushed past, Lucifer swung the sword, slicing Nevermores side.

Blood splattered the floor as Nevermore fell from the wound. It was sudden and he didn't expect to be countered that quickly. As he struggled to stand, Lucifer had walked over and was standing beside him. "You're pathetic. " Lucifer growled and kicked Nevermore on his wound, deepening the pain, and causing more blood to spill. He let out a pained yelp and placed his hand over the cut. The Devil just sighed and slammed his foot on the wolf demons back, pinning him down. "Ya know, if you would have just done as I said since your deal, this wouldn't have happened. If you would have just consumed that girl's soul, this wouldn't have happened. "

With every "this wouldn't have happened ", Lucifer had dug the sword in Nevermore's free hand, pinning it to the finished wood below. Blood soaking his clothes and the floor beneath him. Lucifer ripped out the blade, kicked Nevermore onto his back, and plunged the sword into his stomach. Blood pooled from the wound, covering the blade in his blood. Nevermore coughed up blood and let out a scream of agony as the vile devil twisted the blade, worsening everything.

Lucifer's black eyes glimmered with a sadistic pleasure. He ripped the sword out again, placing it back where it was but pushing upwards, tearing the clothing and any flesh that came in contact with it.

Nevermore quickly placed his hands around the blade to prevent it going to his heart, even though he knew he would die anyways. He spoke between gasps of pain and agony, "S-stop.... Please.... What did.... I ever do... To y-you...? " Lucifer stopped, grabbed his throat and slammed him against the wall. "You existed. That's what you did to me. " Lucifer growled before plunging the sword in his chest, Just missing his heart. "Have a nice next life. Hopefully you'll learn to not become a demon again... "

With that, he removed the Demon sword and left. Leaving him to bleed out. But as soon as he left, that's when Zane and Alari bust through the front doors. The two saw all the blood and slash marks around the room. Alari gasped in horror as she saw Nevermore on the floor, bleeding profusely. She began to cry and ran over, "Nevermore! " Zane was shocked and grief stricken, "Third times a charm... " he muttered.

Alari cried and cried as she held her love in her arms. Not caring that blood got on her clothes. Nevermore looked at her weakly, before reaching up and stroking her cheek softly. She grabbed his hand in hers as he rasped, "Alari, I never stopped loving you... And I never.... Will... I..." Alari shushed him and set his hand down. "Don't talk.. Please. " she sniffled. He laughed very weakly, as the life faded from his eyes he said, almost whispering, "I had a good life with you all... I guess I wasn't meant to last.... " He closed his eyes and smiled slightly before his last breath left his body.

Alari cried harder and Zane felt tears stream down his face. His brother... Gone... Right in front of him. "I wasn't here for him... " he growled and fell to his knees. He let out a yell of rage, grief, and sorrow. Night had fallen quickly and the sound of a wolf's howl filled the void. Reflecting the death of the beloved Nevermore, the moon seeming to shine brighter than any other night.

But.

Who said demons can't come back? Will Nevermore come back or remain dorment forever?

Find out in the next book, "A Demon's Sacrifice..."