Chapter 7

As soon as he passed the gate, Adrien rushed through the door to his house as fast as he could. He passed Natalie without her noticing and ran upstairs to his room, shutting the door. He laid Ladybug down on his couch and she sat up, looking at Adrien with a mixture of fear, anger, and surprise.

"Hang on. I'm gonna get some healing supplies."

"Are you crazy?!"

"What?"

"You gave Volpina your miraculous, revealed your identity, and rejected her! Do you realize the danger we're in now?"

"I know what I did. It's gonna be ok."

"No it isn't! We never should've loved each other. Because of me, you gave your miraculous away. I wasn't hurt that much! You could've helped me stop her!"

"Ladybug, you're bruised all over your face. You're bleeding too. How were you supposed to defeat her with injuries like this?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Your face! It-"

Adrien started to see her bruises fading away. He realized he had been fooled.
"Oh no. I'm so sorry. Volpina tricked me. When she punched you, your face looked awful. I-I was afraid. But please, don't say anything bad about our love. There is nothing I wouldn't do for you."

Ladybug felt like a jerk. She appeared to be in danger, and she was punishing him for caring. "I'm sorry Cat. I had no idea. Or..should I call you Adrien?"

"You can call me whatever you like, Bugaboo," he winked. "And it's all right, you didn't know."

They eyed the ground in awkward silence for a moment until Ladybug spoke again.

"So..my partner is Adrien Agreste. I haven't had time to process this yet."

"Yeah..surprise. Heh." He chuckled nervously. "I wanted to ask you a question about me though."

"Yeah sure. What is it?"

"I overheard you talking to Volpina and-well-did u mean it when you said you liked me? Do you know about my personal life?"

"You have no idea how much I know." Ladybug muttered.

"What?" he asked again.

"Uh-uh-I mean-I know a little."

"Do you go to my school?"

"Adrien, I'm really glad to know that you're my partner, but..I'm not ready to reveal too many aspects of my identity yet. I'm sorry."

"But it's ok. Like I've said before, I won't tell anyone. Cat's honor. Don't you love me?"

"Are you kidding? I love you beyond words, but I don't know if you'd like who I really am."

Adrien put his hands on her shoulders. "The girl under the mask is the same girl who I love today and the same girl I'll love tomorrow. You can trust me."

Ladybug still didn't want to show who she was behind the mask because she was afraid of disappointing him. "Marinette" was just a clumsy girl who lives at a bakery. Adrien wouldn't want to love a nobody. She couldn't do it, so she decided to leave. "I should get going. Lila has your miraculous, and I'm gonna get it back for you." She kissed Adrien on the head. "I'll return soon, Kitty. Stay here."

Adrien looked up with a daze as Ladybug used her yoyo and leaped out his window. "Good luck, m'lady."