Sharing the Agony

I tried to move on the dirt ground where I'd fallen asleep last night while carving more space in the tunnel. My back was stiff, my ribs sore, and muscles severely aching. I stretched in pain, trying to ease my tensed up muscles, and limbs. Still, I couldn't complain. I smiled looking at the large hole in the wall; I could feel I was close, very close. I looked around cautiously, making sure I did not feel the presence of somebody else in the room with me. I crawled in deep through the tunnel, my body barely fitted in, as I tried to ignore the dread of moving forward in this narrow closed tube like space. I sympathized with the miners of old times, if this thing caved in, I would be toast. I stopped thinking about it, I did not have a choice, I had to get out of here. I opened my palms and kept reflecting more of my light on the concrete wall. I tired quickly, having none of my usual energy and endurance. I also hadn't eaten anything since I've been here, though I could freely drink water from the sink next to the toilet. I stopped to catch my breath and then cleared the debris with my hands.

Getting out of the tunnel was tough, I had no space to make a U-turn, and I just had to crawl backward, one step at a time, stretching one leg back and then pulling the other to align with it, using my hands to move my body back. When I was in the room again, I cleaned the debris which had fallen all over me and took large gulps of air. It was so stuffed in there that I was fighting the feeling of suffocation each time I was at work, so I had to make frequent returns to the room to keep my sanity.

I rested on the floor for ten minutes, looking at my hands now snow white with dust, and plaster, laughing like crazy. I thought about Seth, who was the only reason I kept it all together. It was becoming more and more difficult to do this here alone, not knowing where I was, or how to get back. I let myself rest for a few more minutes and then pulled myself together.

"I'm coming back to you, Seth," I said, as I moved back into the tunnel with full determination. I opened my palms, yet again and kept them on the wall, feeling my power flow from my hands to tear chunks of plaster from the wall. More of the space behind the wall became visible, and then I saw a thin stream of the electric light filter in the dark tunnel from the other side of the wall, and I cried in joy. It was barely there, but I knew what it meant. I had almost made it. I continued my efforts with full force and then hastily dug in with my fingers, hands to remove the blocks of the torn wall until I could crawl to what lay on the other side. I found myself in another room like mine, and a combination of excitement and hope rallied with disappointment and frustration as I got up to look around. Had I dug a way out of my room, just to end up in another?

It took me a few seconds to notice the motionless figure lying on the floor, across the other wall, her blonde hair covering her face, and hiding her identity from me.

Oh, my God, there was somebody else here with me. I approached cautiously to see who she was, was she another kidnapped victim? It looked to be so. I crawled next to her, waiting to defend myself should this be a trap. She did not move, I pushed aside her hair with shaking fingers, and then I gasped. I felt my eyes widen in shock; this was all surreal. "Hey, can you hear me?" I asked her. "Elvan?" I pleaded, shaking her, but she was as still as dead.

What was she doing here? Where were we? How had we both ended in here? What the hell did this all mean?

I walked around the room, trying to find a way out. Not surprisingly, the heavy studded door wouldn't open. I had managed to get myself out of my room, but now I was stuck with this one. The only good thing was that I was no longer alone, Elvan was here with me in this prison cell, sharing my torment, and agony, if only I could wake her up.

***********************************************

Dante's POV

"We need to know what they are planning, how many recruits they have when they are attacking," he listed.