Zakary

I sit in the uncomfortable chair and stare at the wall. This is the worst part of being the next chancellor. Meetings.

"Our troops are spread far and we need to give reinforcements," one of the councilmen says.

I try to pay attention, I honestly do but I'm distracted.

Earlier this morning I went and knocked on Antilia's door. When nobody answered, I went into the unlocked room. Nobody was in the apartment.

I know she's supposed to be at the lab but I wanted to warn her about what might happen.

I then went to the lab. Normally I was granted access to anywhere in our country. This time I wasn't. I asked I visit her but they told me no. I asked why and they said it was classified. What are they keeping from me?

As I was leaving, I heard a bloodcurdling scream. I don't know who did it but they must have been in pain. This confuses me because the lab is supposed to help better the country. Not hurt the people who live here.

What confuses me even more is my pull to Antilia. I don't know this girl. I don't know much about her life. All I know is that I have this pull to her that I can't describe.

"Zakary, what do you think we should do about the soldiers?" I'm asked.

"Honestly I believe we should look at the graduating class from the academy. I have... acquaintances there who are prepared for battle already." I answer, being pulled out of my thoughts.

"Yes that's a brilliant idea," Mr. Jodston exclaims.

The meeting finally ends after hours of sitting. Clarkson and I are the last to leaves.

"That was the most dreadful three hours of my life!" Clarkson says with a laugh.

"I agree," I chuckle.

We both know that the both of us hate the meetings that we have every other week.

We ride the elevator back up to the top floor office.

"Zakary, who are the acquaintances you spoke of in the meeting?" Clarkson asks me with a suspicion glance.

I'm not allowed to have friends. It's a distraction. Or that's what I've been told since I was a baby. It's the only rule I've ever broken. I have friends.

"Just a few students I saw when I was overseeing one of the practices." I lie, hoping he doesn't realize.

He only nods.

We enter the office. I stare out the window. It overlooks our beautiful city. Once upon a time it was called Portland but now it's known as the Capital.

I know what you're thinking. The creators were the most creative people ever.

"Sir!" A Natalia the secretary rushes in. "The rebels are in the city!"

"Thank you for the notification Natalia." Clarkson says calmly.

"Rebels?" I ask after she leaves.

"Yes. We have had reports of rebellion against the system. We believe it to be a minor threat. You mustn't tell anyone!" Clarkson explains.

"Alright. Can I do anything?" I ask.

"Not right now but I will come to you for any insight you have on the matter."

Just then a man I've never seen before enters. The man is middle aged with brown hair and brown eyes. He wears a white jacket.