Chapter 11

A/N
Yayayyayayayyaya
It's here!
Words: 339

***

Gerard had not been exaggerating about the number of people eager to celebrate Frank's birthday or simply to have a good excuse for a party. They have to park two blocks away, because the street outside Frank and Bob's flat is littered with vehicles in various states of repair. Frank has a lot of friends, but apparently none of them drive anything worth stealing.

Every other person walking past is wearing a fancy costume and Mikey sighs a little in relief. It's not that he cares what people think, but he's nervous enough about what's going on in Gerard's head and doesn't need to worry about the potential of being beaten up between the car and the party. He grabs for the door handle, but Gerard reaches over and stops him.

"Wait," he says.

Mikey blinks, confused. "What is it?"

"Just... Just, wait a minute, okay?" Gerard stares at him for a few more seconds. Then he sort of nods to himself and gets out.

Before Mikey can react, Gerard is on the other side of the car, opening Mikey's door for him. Gerard holds his hand out expectantly.

It's Mikey's turn to stare. Gerard shifts from foot to foot but doesn't back down, his arm still extended, expression stubborn.

"...It's still just me, you know," Mikey says. "You don't have to-" He waves a hand between them illustratively.

"I know," Gerard says. "But I want to."

Well. That's. Mikey looks up, and finds Gerard's eyes trained on his face, not his boots or the dress or the several inches of fishnet-covered skin in between, his face.

Mikey takes Gerard's arm and allows himself to be helped out of the car. They walk down the street side by side, Gerard's hand a light, steadying presence at the small of Mikey's back. Around them the Halloween evening deepens into twilight, and somewhere between their old beat-up Ford Escort and Frank's party, Mikey falls in love with his brother all over again.

***