15. Mistakes

Jellal's P.O.V

At the party...

My head was spinning but I was still aware of my senses - for the moment. Mostly everyone was already passed out on the living room floor or had disappeared into the rooms. Erza and I were the only ones still awake but I wouldn't be too sure that her senses were working.

"Jellal..." Her words slurred as she managed she lift her head up to meet me by the eye. We were on the carpet floor, sitting next to one another around the coffee table. There were empty shot glasses and empty boxes of pocky sticks on it.

"Do you know how much this had to endure?" Her palm made its way to her heart as she slowly pounded on it. I continued starting at her with a blank expression, not knowing what kind of reaction I should give.

"You know, I accepted the fact that you didn't like me back. Ever since you lied about having a fiancé, I tried moving on. I figured it was your way of saying that you didn't share the same feelings I had and -"

Before she could say another word, my arms were wrapped around her shoulders. The scent of alcohol hits me first until I could faintly smell strawberries from her scarlet hair that made my chest tighten. Her arms slowly loosen in my embrace and I somewhat felt a sense of relief.

"Hey Jellal..." Her voice was light, like it was trailing off.

"Hm?"

"I love you." Her breathing soften and became steady as if she fell asleep. I pulled her away from my embrace and her eyes were closed. She fell asleep.

I stood up and carried her to one of the empty rooms in the hall. After placing her in the bed I turned to doorway, but felt someone tugging on my sleeve. I looked at Erza who had her eyelids slightly open, "Please don't leave me again..." I don't know what had gotten to me, it was either the alcohol or my love for her - but I slightly nod and joined her under the covers.

^^^

"Um... Jellal-nii?" The sound of distant chatter brought me back from my thoughts.

The cool breeze hits my face, soothing my mood a bit. I turned my head to Romeo and Wendy who had a concerned look on their faces.

It made the corner of my lips turn up slightly - oh how I wish I could return to those innocent days. Ever since I took over the Tower of Heaven, my heart's been controlled with darkness until the day I finally realized all my sins.

But sadly it had to be when I hurted Erza enough for her to shed tears. I would never forgive myself.

"Is something bothering you?"

"No-" I ruffled Romeo's hair. "Nothing's bothering me." I gave a reassuring smile.

"You're lying." Wendy spoke up quietly, which kinda surprised me.

She stopped walking which made Romeo and I halt. I tried looking for some kind of expression on her face but there was none.

She looked up at me, "Smiles say so much comparing to our words. But you know, smiles that hold so much pain can hardly be noticable to others." She looks into my eyes. "And I know one when I see one."

I could only blink in disbelief. "She's right, Jellal-nii." Romeo begins. "We know what happened to you and Erza-nee. We're not trying to go into your buisness or anything but we think that you should forgive yourself already."