Chapter 39

"He played such a good part in this movie," Harry is saying quietly before he's tossing popcorn in his mouth

It's nearly 11 at night; Emma had gone to bed at 9 after Harry read her a bedtime story... and Louis sat and listened to him read, smiling the entire time.

Now, for the past 2 hours, they've been cuddled up in their bed watching a movie, the only light in the room coming from the tv itself and the bathroom.

"I think Denzel Washington is fucking brilliant in this, too," Louis says through a mouthful of popcorn, "well, he's brilliant in everything..."

"Yeah, but Tom Hanks had to play a convincing gay guy," Harry looks back at Louis, "and one who's dying from AIDS. He blows Denzel out of the water in this movie."

"Ok, I'll agree with you on that," Louis nods and picks up his soda can from the nightstand.

"Pass me mine," Harry points and looks back at the television, watching the movie Philadelphia closely.

Harry's seen it so many times now, but it's always been one of his favorites.

Louis hands Harry his soda before he's grabbing more popcorn from the bowl between them.

"This ending always gets to me," Harry says out softly before he's drinking down some soda quickly.

"Yeah, I... I couldn't imagine having to watch this happen to someone I loved," Louis whispers out.

Harry leans over Louis and sits his soda down before he's sitting back, Louis' instantly cuddling against his chest.

They watch the ending, both of them staying quiet; Tom Hank's character Andrew Beckett is now in the hospital and he's about to die. His partner is sitting with him for the final moments of his life.

Louis hears Harry sniffing above him and he knows he's crying.

"How many times have you seen this now?" Louis asks quietly.

"A few," Harry replies before he wipes his eyes, "doesn't matter how many times I've seen it... I still react like this."

"Harry," Louis starts, "did... did you ever think this might happen to you and I when you were sick?"

Harry bites his lip, placing his arm around Louis' shoulder and gently rubbing his fingers over it.

"I'd be lying if I said no," Harry finally admits, "yeah, it... it crossed my mind, Lou... more than once."

"And yet, you're still here," Louis whispers and runs his hand over Harry's stomach, "and you're healthy."

"Yeah," Harry sniffs again, tears falling down while he's watching the movie still.