Finding him at 20

"She wears high heels, I wear sneakers. . . . . .dreaming about the day when you wake up find out what you're looking for has been here the whole time." - Taylor Swift (You belong with me🎤)

I hummed along to the Christmas tunes playing from the speakers. It was my favorite time of the year.

"Excuse me, can I get a hot chocolate please?" I turned to the 15yr old girl sitting in the booth and smiled, "Coming right up"

During the time I was here if I wasn't too busy at school I helped out at Mrs Walters part time especially during the holiday seasons. She owned the cutest little coffee just a bit off campus. It was the usual hangout spot when school was in session, people loved the nice homey feel it had to it and of course her muffins were to die for!

"Here's the hot chocolate" Mrs Walters smiled at me, although she insisted I call her Margaret. She was a nice woman in her early forties, quite  well to do(she came from a rich family) but she loved her little coffee shop. She said it gave a her that sense of purpose.

"So when are you heading home for Christmas?" she asked as she wiped down the counter.

"In two days time probably. Why?" I smiled at her "trying to get rid of me?" I teased.

"Never!" she laughed. "I prefer your company to that of my niece" she pinched my cheeks. I had never met her niece before but Margaret (Mrs Walters) had told me stories of how infuriating and spoiled the girl was.

"Alright, turn in your apron" she stretched out her hand. At 4pm every time I worked here I turned in my apron and retreated to the corner booth by the window for some me time.

I smiled and handed it to her while she gave a cupcake and a cup of hot chocolate. I got comfy in my corner booth while Margaret sat at the counter looking through the books, it was a slow day and considering most of the students on campus had headed home it was quite empty. I took a sip of my hot chocolate and sighed in content as I lost myself in a novel. While reading I heard the bell jingle twice, two customers had probably entered, Margaret could handle it.

That's when I heard it. It was unmistakable, I could never forget that voice I dropped my book and looked to be sure.
All of a sudden I couldn't breathe, my palms got sweaty and my heart was beating so loudly that I was so sure he might have heard it. Then he turned and faced me. Yep! He heard it, stupid heart beat. His eyes still held thesame mischief, and his smile still revealed his perfect dimples. Good God, I always hated what this guy did to me. He walked up to me and dropped a book on my table and sat down.

"Hey"

Yeah I never stood a chance, I'm screwed!

"D - David?" I stuttered.

"Yes Emma, its me" he laughed. I was in shock, what was he doing here? He's supposed to be in Yale, somewhere in the east of U.S!

"Hi! What are you doing here? How's Yale? How have you been?" I smiled as I rained him with questions.

He laughed, "Everything's fi. . ." before he could finish a lady walked up to him and smiled "Hey, aren't you going to meet my aunt?" She had gorgeous red hair that fell just below her shoulders and was dressed like someone with uppity. She looked at both of us and tapped her heeled boots, "Davey, who's this?"

Davey, really?!

"Oh, uhm this is Emma. We went to high school together" he smiled at her. She slid in beside him and looked me over as if she was sizing me up. Suddenly my sweater, jeans and sneakers combo felt wrong.