Chapter 41

Chapter song: Battle Scars by Lupe Fiasco & Guy Sebastian

"Cause you set me on fire, I've never felt so alive. Hoping wounds heal, but it never does ...that's because you're at war with love."

"Nancy's not home yet?" Nick asked as we walked up to the front steps of Nancy's house.

"Actually, Nancy went to visit her mom. Her mom doesn't have much time left so she went to see her," I responded.

"Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that."

"Yeah, me too.  Losing a loved one is never easy."

"Will you be okay by yourself?" He asked as we reached the front door.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," I said. "Don't worry about me. I'm a grown up now. I think I can take care of myself."

"You think?"

"I know," I chuckled.

" Alright," he laughed. "I just feel so embarrassed now constantly pestering you about that drink. I'm sorry."

"What?! No, don't be sorry! It's my fault for not telling you earlier."

"How about him?"

"What?" I raised my brows.

"Why won't you tell him?"

I didn't need to ask Nick who he was referring to. It was obvious. My eyes dropped down to the floor while my fingers nervously gripped onto the straps, searching my mind for a reply. "I'll tell him when the right time comes."

Nick gazed at me, unsatisfied with my answer. "You can't hide it forever, Ally.  The truth always finds its way out."

"I know," I told him.

"Well, I guess I'll see you later then. Good night Ally," Nick said with a smile. I smiled back as he turned to leave.

I unlocked the door to go in but felt the sudden urge to turn around. "Thank you for dinner, Nick," I said, loud enough for him to hear.  Nick spun around to smile at me, his dimples deepening at just the right angles of his cheeks. 

"My pleasure," he said. "We should do it more often."

"Definitely," I agreed.

With that, Nick turned around to leave for good.  I watched as Nick returned to his car and drove away into the night, feeling relieved about where we left off.  He took the news with much more grace than I expected him to. Without a doubt, Nick was someone I could trust.  Unlike someone I knew too well.  

In the middle of watching some crummy reality show on TV, I heard a knock on the door.  My eyes widened with panic, thinking of who would knock at this hour.  I grew even more paranoid when the possibility of Henry being on the other side of that door.

Slowly, I made my way to the door and raised myself on my tippy toes to glimpse through the peep hole.

I let out a breath of relief when I realized it was only my best friend.  Upon swinging the door open, I opened my arms for her, and she squeezed me like she usually would.

"What are you doing here?" I asked with delight. My eyes roamed to a small duffle bag where she stood a moment ago. "Are you staying the night?"

"Actually," she started as she picked up her bag.  "I'm staying here for the weekend."

"Did Nancy call you?"

"Yup, she did," Lily confirmed with a wide grin. 

I followed her into my room where she dropped her duffle bag onto the bed. She climbed onto it and crossed her legs in a pretzel position as she looked at me attentively.