Chapter 8 - A Dreamer, A Friend and an Old Story Book (Lena Foscari)

Dedication: For Angela AphroditeKid. Another dedication for you and, let me tell you, you deserve every one of them! Thank you for being my friend and, yes, I know I can call you one, you're definately not just another fan :) Thank you for listening to me, for talking. Thank you for reading and, most definately, for writing. A friend, a dreamer and an appreciater of books, this chapter had to be yours. And I know I say this all the time but - it means a lot :)

******

Chapter Eight – A Dreamer, A Friend and an Old Story Book (Lena Foscari)

*****

‘I am a dreamer. I have to dream and reach for the stars, and if I miss a star then I grab a handful of clouds.’ ~ Mike Tyson

*****

“That’s it?” Said Cappi, “that’s all he said?” I sighed and nodded, looking away from my brother’s disbelieving face.

“Who said what?” Said my father without looking up from the map he was studying.

“Marco,” my brother growled “he stays away for months and claims he forgot to visit.” Cappi rolled his eyes “silly little Lena here is acting like nothing happened. Don’t come crying to me when he leaves again, the fool.”

“You didn’t see his face, Cappi. He was so confused.” I shrugged, having nothing else to say.

“Let the boy be, Cappi.” Sighed my father “you must invite him round again Lena, I’ve missed him too.” My brother gave a frustrated groan and walked from the room, mumbling something to himself.

“What are you looking at Papa?” I said, going over to him and peering over his shoulder. In front of him on the table was an old yellowing map, countries and words scrawled in black ink, the letters were almost illegible which made me think that the writer had been in a hurry. But why?

“Just an old map, nothing more.” Maybe he was about to go on a voyage and had to finish the map before the ship set sail...

“I wish we could go somewhere else you know, Papa. I’ve heard so many stories of places yet...I’ve never seen anything other than Venice.” Just thinking about a grand boat leaving the harbour made my heart flutter. Oh, this explorer must have had great fun!

“I know, Lena, perhaps the rules will change soon and we will be allowed to travel. But, for now, can you go to the market for me?”

*****

The market was a little busier than I expected, stalls were still open even though the light was fading and people still walked about. I turned my head and smiled as I noticed the group of children sitting on the ground, gathered around the old storyteller. Nobody really knew who he was, he never gave out his name, but he was often found in the square telling tales to whoever wanted to listen. Even after all these years, people hadn’t tired of his stories though most of them were fantasies. I grinned, remembering how I’d hung upon his every word, believing what he said to be true.

Dreaming of the winged lions and things that lived beneath the waves.

Dreaming of other places that don’t exist.

Who knows? Perhaps some of his stories were of far away countries that I’d never been to. I picked up a sentence or two as I walked by and paused to listen...

Once upon a time, there was a young mage who went by the name of Nico. But, really, he wasn’t much of a mage at all as he was still only apprenticed to an enchanter. Sadly, Nico wasn’t the most gifted with magic which resulted in him being forever scolded by his master. Although the boy could never complete the difficult tasks he was set, he never gave up. His determination caused him many a sleepless night and several minor injuries. But did his will falter? No, it did not.