The Last to know

Prologue:

Fae

I zipped my suitcase up and looked around the room. The bed was stripped, the desk empty and all of my picture frames packed in a cardboard box by the door. I sighed. “Man, am I ever happy to leave this crap-hole!” I hauled my suitcase to the ground and shoved the cardboard box under my arm, I closed the door the best I could with my foot and headed outside.  I pushed the heavy oak doors and walked to the cab they had called for me. As I was shoving my stuff in the trunk, someone gently touched my shoulder, I turned around and there was Mrs. Kaisee.

“So... I called Mrs. Fitch. She’ll be waiting for you at the airport.” I smiled.

“I can’t thank you enough Mrs. Kaisee!” She patted my shoulder

“It’s only for a summer, Fae... don’t get to carried away ok.” I nodded.

“It’s going to be my first summer where I won’t need to move from house to house or spend here though” I replied “Don’t worry about me.” I swiftly added when I saw a look of worry cross her face. “I’ll be fine, I promise”

She looked me in the eyes and said

“Call if anything goes wrong, okay?” I smiled

“Of course”

I hugged her and opened the car door. I took one last look at the orphanage I had grown up in, taking in its tall oak doors, the rough iron gates surrounding the grounds, the windows, everything. I sat in the car and before closing the door I stuck my head out and said

“Bye Mrs. Kaisee!” I waved and she waved back, saying

“Don’t get in trouble now!” I smirked.

“I’ll try not to!”

 She smiled, but I saw a single tear make its way down her cheek. I closed the door and looked in front of me. I smiled through my own tears at the prospect of spending a real summer on the beach, the kind that you see on television all the time.

Declan:

I let myself fall unto the couch with a sigh. I had just returned home from yet another long day of school. Sure every teenager you’ll find will say that school days are long, but they’re not me. They don’t have to constantly watch everywhere, look into every corner for lurking cameras and reporters before saying something that, if broadcasted on TV, would bring shame to my mother. And they didn’t have to always try to figure out who was really their friend and who was just using me to, maybe, make an appearance on TV.

I heard to door open and my mom came into view.

“Hi honey, how was your day at school?” I half smiled. What a funny question to ask.

“The usual, except today the new teacher flirted with me.” My mom laughed and said

“Was she pretty at least?” I shook my head.

“She’s probably older then dad is, and no offence or anything, but admit it; dad is old.”

 My dad, who was standing behind me the whole time, smacked my head with his newspaper.

“That’s rude!” He said, but he was smiling. I laughed.

 A commercial about teenager’s having a bonfire was playing on the TV screen, and I found myself hoping I could be one of them. They looked like they were having so much fun! That’s when an Idea popped into my head.

“Mom” I said, still starring at the TV screen.

“What?” She said, sitting down beside me.