His Month

~~His Month~~

"'Are you sure, Rhea?' asks my mother.

'Of course, I'm. Survival of the fittest, mother. I'm not going against Darwin. Also, I don't want unnecessary scars on my body.'

It's a known fact that we are all born to die. And frankly, I don't understand why it has to be made into such a big deal. If it were not for my mother I would have said that to the bunch of people outside my house, some of them with young kids, shouting slogans, waving placards, literally wanting me to cut one of my beating hearts out. "Save A Life. Donate!" they shout.

For someone who is one in billions, 7.125 billion to be exact, I expect to be treated better. Scientists are still befuddled regarding my condition that gave me two hearts in my mother's womb. But years of research and sticking needles into me have led them nowhere, and they have labelled me as a freak mutation. It's so rare - literally one in all humankind - that they didn't even name the anomaly (as they call it, I will call it awesomeness). I wanted to name the condition myself, something on the lines of Rhea's Heartsawesome but the doctors aren't thrilled with the suggestion. Instead, they want to cut one of them out and save a life. Huh?

An IQ of 180, increased concentration, exceptional athleticism and a phenomenal metabolism rate - are just the few boring benefits of an increased blood circulation. Why would I ever give that up?' Suddenly I was interrupted.

"Would you stop reading that out from the page over and over again? It's not going to change a single sentence or the world!" Junaya rolls her eyes at me. True, I had been reading those lines in the monologue for almost thirty minutes now, thinking of what to write after the given lines.

A girl with two hearts, is that even real?

"Stop with your imagination would you?" She interrupts my thoughts again, "Dalia, you are going nowhere with that."

"But the writer wants me to write on that!" I said, already annoyed with her. It's been seven hours since I've been thinking what to write, and all the writer could think among all the other things that could've been given as the topic for a National competition, he had to choose about a girl with two hearts! I had to ask my dad about this, if I needed Medical information about it, though I seriously don't think that He, as in the writer wants me to include Medical information about it.

"The writer doesn't want you to write. He gave it to everyone who is participating!" She says, munching on a packet of Lays. What's with annoying people always bringing with Lays with them? Err!

I threw a pillow her way, looking away from the screen of my computer, "You can go and get laid with your boyfriend in your house, which I assure is empty. Please leave me alone."

"I pity you, babe. You don't have a boyfriend now, and you are trying to write romance all the time." She huffed like that burden of the whole world was upon her and she was some sort of Atlas, you know, the Greek God who holds earth on his shoulder or something.

"Stop shouting!" That would be mom's voice, uh oh. She barged into the room, her hair a color of something in between bright red and dulled brown, the kind of it becomes after a colour fades away from the hair roots. Her usual maxi dress was on, along with her spectacles behind which her eyes were narrowed at us.

"When will you become a girl?" This question was certainly directed towards me. What the...fish?

"Mum, I am a girl." I rolled my eyes, and turned on the TV just to see Sadda Haq playing on Channel V. Just great! Now, mom will tell me to get out of the house for becoming like the female protagonist of the show. They were not telling me to become a good housewife or anything in future, but they did have a hitch with my 'being boyish' nature. I wasn't a tomboy though. Honestly, I exactly don't even know what the problem with me was.