Chapter 9 Pt. 3 Second part of Chapter 9

The other part is the first part of chapter 9

"No." I respond stepping back, "Where's Nina?"

"She's out making friends with everyone." He says.

"You need to go out there and be with her. She is your wife." I tell him. He smiles and gives me a little wave as he walks away.

I immediately feel the hum in my body as James' arm comes around me, "What did he want?"

"Believe it or not, he wanted to apologize." I leave out the rest.

"He apologized to me also. He thanked me for taking his son out of the situation that he and Tammy put him into. He promised that he'll be better so he can see him more. They both may be idiots, but they love their son. They just don't know how to deal with each other without using him as bait. I think they both need couples therapy, even though they aren't a couple." He says.

"I agree. They need to learn how to deal with each other for the sake of Charlie." I tell him.

"Kai! So glad you made it!" Ingrid comes sweeping towards me elegantly.

"Hi Ingrid. It looks like you know how to throw a great party." I tell her.

She smiles and gives me a hug, "My parties are legendary. People beg for invitations."

"I can tell." I laugh in her direction. I love her. She is an awesome person.

She turns to James, "Make sure you introduce my future daughter-in-law to everyone. Don't keep her to yourself."

James kisses his mom on the forehead, "I will mom." She graces us with another smile and floats away.

"How does she do that?" I ask in amazement.

"It's something that she's always done. I never questioned it." James laughs. I shake my head and he pulls me along to get me a drink and to introduce me to all of the people here.

"I thought this was a 'welcome to the neighborhood' party." I observe after meeting a lot of people that I know don't live in the neighborhood.

"If you haven't figured it out by now, that was just an excuse. My mom just likes to throw a good party."

"Where are the new neighbors?"

"Right over there." He points out a couple who are talking animatedly to a group. I nod and glance at them. They look like they are having a good time, so mission accomplished I guess.

We walk around some more making small talk and meeting more people for a little while until it's time to put Charlie to bed.

"But I don't want to go." He yawns while James helps him into his pajamas.

"Sure buddy. We'll turn on the television for you and you can watch movies, okay?"

He nods, "Are you staying here too?" He looks at me.

I smile. "We are," James answers for me. "When you get up in the morning both of us will be here, okay?" He nods again. We get him settled into bed with a movie and he falls right to sleep before we can even leave the room.

After we close the door behind us, James asks me, "Are you okay with him being around? I just want to make sure. I love you, but he comes first."

I put my hand on his arm, "Sweetie, I know that he comes first. I love having him around. Anything you need help with, I'm here. I love that little guy." James' arms come around my waist and he leans down and gives me a kiss.