Chapter 21

_Chapter 21~ Wo-MAN Up_

Of all the days, why did it have to be today?

"Hey, Reina!"

I inwardly groaned at Daichi's enthusiasm.

"Hello? Is anybody home?"

There was a knock on my head.

"Go away," I mumbled, my face implanted on my desk.

"Reina," he tried again. "Why are you so down today? I know school's ending after this period but that's exactly why you should be happy. No like... this."

As the final block of the day had been turned into self-study, majority of our classmates were off raucously chattering. Upon finishing some worksheets at his desk, Daichi, in an attempt to socialize, twisted his body to face me. Ms. Osaka had long since fled the scene, all to take care of some 'adult matters,' but that was the least of my concerns at the moment.

I lifted my head to look at the boy who couldn't seem to catch a hint. He gasped at the sight of me, lurching back.

"Ew, you look like a zombie!"

I swatted his arm immediately.

He winced and frowned. "Fine, you look like a grotesque monster."

I raised my hand again. Yelping, he elevated his arms in defence.

"Okay, okay! You look like Reina!" Puffing, he dropped his hands, gazing at me through his thick-rimmed glasses. "So what's up with you?"

As soon as he said that, the excited murmurs of my classmates had once again seized my focus. My gaze landed on the males who majority were carrying neatly wrapped boxes of red, pink, or white. I made a face. Groaning, I fell back onto my desk.

"Daichi, today is Valentine's Day."

"I know," he replied in a heartbeat. "I got a few chocolates today."

He fished a couple bags from his pocket for emphasis. I scoffed at him.

"Who would want to give chocolate to you?"

His jaw fell. "Hey, that's offensive."

I shrugged and sighed again. Might as well ask him... "Daichi, if I were to give you a chocolate cake today what would you think?"

"You're giving me chocolate cake?" He sounded ecstatic.

"No," I snapped. "I said if. So? What would you think?"

He frowned. Though, not to disappoint, he tapped on his chin. "I would think... that you completely like me."

I flinched at his bluntness. "But how about if I don't like you?"

"You don't like me?"

I glared at him once more.

He pouted. "Again, offensive. But, if you don't like me and give me chocolate on Valentine's Day, then you need to make it clear it's giri* chocolate."

I groaned. "But that's embarrassing. Why should I have to clarify that or not?"

"Then don't clarify and leave me believing you have a crush on me."

"Can you stop talking about yourself for one damn second? You're really self-absorbed you know that?"

Daichi gawped, slumping in his seat. He then closed his mouth and patted himself. "Is there a sign on my back saying "Insult Daichi" or something? You're hurting me a lot today."